Amazon Closed me & my roommates account

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 2, 2017
Hi - Few months back I got an automated email from amazon they they are closing my account as I have made excessive returns in the past , I always thought that a company as big as amazon would notify me if something is wrong and block the returns but instead they choose to close my account permanently and took all my gift card balance and I tried appealing by replying to the email but all I get is an automated response that they will not re-open my account and I was ok with it and took it as a lesson learnt and moved on . The problem started within a week after they blocked my account , My roommates amazon account was also blocked and disabled and all is gift cards worth approx 360$ in his account was lost he tried replying to the email explaining the we both are 2 different people and we even sent our scanned rental agreement and send both of our driving license copies but all we got in response back was an automated response that this action is permanent . We finally gave up and I feel bad that my actions are impacting my roommates and this is due to amazons "not so smart" logic of automatically linking accounts(it is like giving a traffic ticket to the drier and passengers in my car as the driver and passenger were in the same car, it is not ethical ) , they think their logic is smart but its not . We tried contacting Amazon customer service but unfortunately they have no way to assist us and asked us to reply to the email but replying to the email only gives us the same automated response . After reading for months on various forums I got an amazon escalation email address and asked my roommate to give it one last try by emailing directly to the executives email address , It worked and finally some human responded and they verified our driving license license copies and decided to unlock only my roommates amazon account but they never refunded the gift card balance back to my roommates account and it has been zeroed out we tried replying to the same escalation email and we are no longer getting any response back , We are really frustrated that such a big company who claim to have the best customer service has such a unethical automated system in pace to terminate accounts and no human to even appeal to , So in the end My roommate lost his 360$ . I wanted to post it here to see if any of you Advocates could help . All I want is for my roommate to get his money back as he did nothing wrong .

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Oh, this was a nasty situation. I'm glad your roommate got his account reopened. I don't understand why Amazon won't give him back the $360 on the gift card. If he knows that there is no reason for Amazon to be suspicious of the gift card, I'd compose a concise, polite email to the contact you have, requesting an explanation of where/when the funds were disbursed.

There's so much fraud going on with gift cards that this may have nothing at all to do with Amazon and your problem with them.

Nov 3, 2015
Have you tried all three of the executive contacts here: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/amazon/ ? If not, do so, starting with the primary contact and moving up at about 1 week intervals if you do not get a satisfactory response.

The cases that we get involving Amazon account closures all seem to include some funny business with Amazon gift card balances. Were these card amounts actual gifts to you, or were you purchasing cards on a secondary market?

Keep your emails to the executives polite, short and sweet: I'd suggest bullet point format, organized by date, and ask for your desired (reasonable) resolution.

Let us know if we can help more... otherwise about all I can think of is filing a complaint with the attorney general.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
Have you tried all three of the executive contacts here: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/amazon/ ? If not, do so, starting with the primary contact and moving up at about 1 week intervals if you do not get a satisfactory response.

The cases that we get involving Amazon account closures all seem to include some funny business with Amazon gift card balances. Were these card amounts actual gifts to you, or were you purchasing cards on a secondary market?

Keep your emails to the executives polite, short and sweet: I'd suggest bullet point format, organized by date, and ask for your desired (reasonable) resolution.

Let us know if we can help more... otherwise about all I can think of is filing a complaint with the attorney general.
The reason why all account closures looks like its relates to gift cards is because the way how amazon gift card service works . For any other gift card the balance stays in the gift card but for amazon you need to load the gift card into your account so if an account is closed you are locked out of your gift cards also . My roommate never purchased those gift cards and he got it for his tax refund from turbo tax and he has all proof that it was obtained legitimately "http://www.mightytaxes.com/turbotax-refund-amazon-gift-cards-bonus/" The real issue is that amazon is ignoring its customers and their escalation matrix is not public so many people give up . In the email the my roommate got for closure it was clearly specified that they locked his account as it was related to other account (my account) and we even proved that it is not related to my account which took a lot of effort . Let me ask my roommate to write a short and precise email stating from the SVP of customer service based on the link that was given to me . but we are afraid that amazon may block his account again with no reason again as amazon can chose to block and ignore its customers and we don't have the money complain to attorney general as many have done and failed and we don't want to piss of amazon by complaining against them , SO i will write to the SVP if we don't get any response we are going to give up and move on . But by all means amazon should really have humans reviewing account closures not automatic programs and stop stealing customers money or at least give us a logical reason for keeping the gift card balance .

Nov 3, 2015
Just so you know, a complaint to the Attorney General in your state costs you nothing, and if you get nowhere with Amazon, that would be the venue I'd choose. I don't know where you live, but in my state, this would be where I'd register the complaint: http://www.doj.state.or.us/consumer/Pages/hotline.aspx

Here is a list of the state Attorneys General: http://www.naag.org/naag/attorneys-general/whos-my-ag.php - click the photo for your state and you'll generally be given more information about how to reach the AG's office.

Jan 2, 2017
Just so you know, a complaint to the Attorney General in your state costs you nothing, and if you get nowhere with Amazon, that would be the venue I'd choose. I don't know where you live, but in my state, this would be where I'd register the complaint: http://www.doj.state.or.us/consumer/Pages/hotline.aspx

Here is a list of the state Attorneys General: http://www.naag.org/naag/attorneys-general/whos-my-ag.php - click the photo for your state and you'll generally be given more information about how to reach the AG's office.
Thank you, I got some some additional insight on how to take the next step by posting in this forum .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Please take a look on the forums - we have had multiple complaints just like this and even Chris has not been able to get help from Amazon about these.

Amazon does not fool around with these type of cases where there are excessive returns sighted. Wjen gift cards are involved they need to be very careful that money laundering is not going on.

You need to write to the Attorney General in your state and see if they can do anything to help.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm confused. The roommate got Amazon gift cards from Turbo Tax for his refund? I thought that Turbo Tax was software to enable people to do their own tax returns without a professional. Don't refunds come from the IRS or the State? How did this work?

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
I'm confused. The roommate got Amazon gift cards from Turbo Tax for his refund? I thought that Turbo Tax was software to enable people to do their own tax returns without a professional. Don't refunds come from the IRS or the State? How did this work?
Go to the link in post #4 if you already haven't. It's pretty self-explanatory. So one answer is Yes, the card was purchased through a 3rd party. But Turbotax is pretty legit as a middleman.