Am I Entitled?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 6, 2017
Purchased a Southern Caribbean Cruise (Sept 16-24) Knowing Hurricane Maria was Bearing down on our Itineraries I tried to keep in contact with Carnival to see if there was gonna be a Cancellation to the Cruise. Friday before we left I was notified by text that Turks and Caicos was being changed to Amber Cove, Dominican Republic. After Amber Cove we went to La Romana, D.R. which was one of our scheduled stops after that Curacao was substituted with Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Aruba with Grand Cayman.Understandably the Captain has the choice to change the itineraries if there is a Safety factor for both it's Passengers and it's Fleet. I have NO argument with this call but instead I ask,Why wasn't this Cruise cancelled before leaving Fort Lauderdale knowing Hurricane Maria was right around the corner, so to speak. What I'm looking for is a Full or Partial Refund knowing we were on the Cruise for 8 days or some sort of Compensation for a Cruise I hadn't booked. I received the lessor of what I paid for. Both the Western and Eastern Cruises in which both Jamaica and Grand Cayman are categorized as are Cruises of lesser money. I paid for a Southern Cruise and did not receive what I paid for . I notified Carnival by both phone and a Hand written letter. My responses from Carnival were Negative. I was received and talked to harshly and negatively by phone from their Customer Service Rep. Possible she was getting numerous calls from Customers complaining of the same thing. I don't know but either way I'm a Customer, explain it with a Professional response not a Smart Answer. If needed, I have copies of my letter which I wrote to Carnival and also there text response if needed.Lastly our initial Cruise were to take us back to Fort Lauderdale and we were to arrive at 8:00 am on the 24th. Instead we arrived at 6:30 am. I set our flight home with the 8:00 arrival to port. If I had known we were getting in earlier I could have Booked an earlier Flight, Instead we were forced to sit and wait for our Flight at the Airport for 5 1/2 hours

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The cruise lines will not cancel a cruise unless it is absolutely necessary. If they canceled the cruise you'd have 2,000 - 5,000 people who already had tickets and non refundable airfares. You would have had useless airline tickets if they canceled.

The cruise ticket you agree to when booking also clearly states that the cruise line can substitute ports when necessary and this was one of those scenarios that can happen when you book a cruise during hurricane season.

Unfortunately, the only thing due you if ports are substituted is a refund of any port fees if the ship totally missed a port. There are thousands of passengers in the same situation you are in and it is part of the cruise experiences

We do have company contacts in top of our page you can write to and see if you can ask Carnival for a future cruise credit for another cruise.

What I suggest is you look at the cost of a current Western Caribbean cruise and getbthe pricing for the exact cabin category you were booked in and subtract that from the cost you paid for the Southern and request the difference in a future cruise credit. Start at the Customer Service email and ask. Give them a week to reply- if they say no, write to the first executive listed. Give him or her a week to reply then repeat weekly going up the chain.

You won't get a cash refund and the likelihood that they will give you a great is not great but it doesn't hurt to ask. Write a SHORT (yours is too long) polite letter (use paragraphs as your issue is difficult to read) and state you understand that the cruise line has a right to change ports for guest safety but you are disappointed because what you got was less than what you paid for and you would appreciate them considering a future cruise credit for $xxx based on the price difference between a Southern and Western cruise.

We've seen rules broken when an executive receives a well written letter. Don't tell them they should have canceled the cruise.

Oct 6, 2017
The cruise lines will not cancel a cruise unless it is absolutely necessary. If they canceled the cruise you'd have 2,000 - 5,000 people who already had tickets and non refundable airfares. You would have had useless airline tickets if they canceled.

The cruise ticket you agree to when booking also clearly states that the cruise line can substitute ports when necessary and this was one of those scenarios that can happen when you book a cruise during hurricane season.

Unfortunately, the only thing due you if ports are substituted is a refund of any port fees if the ship totally missed a port. There are thousands of passengers in the same situation you are in and it is part of the cruise experiences

We do have company contacts in top of our page you can write to and see if you can ask Carnival for a future cruise credit for another cruise.

What I suggest is you look at the cost of a current Western Caribbean cruise and getbthe pricing for the exact cabin category you were booked in and subtract that from the cost you paid for the Southern and request the difference in a future cruise credit. Start at the Customer Service email and ask. Give them a week to reply- if they say no, write to the first executive listed. Give him or her a week to reply then repeat weekly going up the chain.

You won't get a cash refund and the likelihood that they will give you a great is not great but it doesn't hurt to ask. Write a SHORT (yours is too long) polite letter (use paragraphs as your issue is difficult to read) and state you understand that the cruise line has a right to change ports for guest safety but you are disappointed because what you got was less than what you paid for and you would appreciate them considering a future cruise credit for $xxx based on the price difference between a Southern and Western cruise.

We've seen rules broken when an executive receives a well written letter. Don't tell them they should have canceled the cruise.

Oct 6, 2017
I went up the Chain Neil. I responded by first a phone call and then a shortened letter which included such information as in your reply. Received a letter from an Executive Officer telling me I was not eligible for any type of refund or Compensation towards a future cruise. I had explained I didn't get what I paid for noting that both the Eastern and Western Cruises were of lesser value.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is the ticket contract that you agree to once you make your deposit that covers your situation and unfortunately, legally they don't have to reimburse. You've already been to the CEO so there really isn't much we can do.

Wish we had better news. This is one of the drawbacks of cruising during hurricane season. In 16 of selling travel this was an unprecedented occutance that I have never seen. Unfortunately, you and thousands of others were caught in it.

It could have been worse- a few years ago there was a cruise going out of New York that was supposed to go to Florida and the Bahamas. There was a hurricane down south that forced the ship to do a New England cruise instead.
The passengers didn't even have appropriate clothing- they all had shorts and bathing suits and went north where they needed light jackets and it was too cold to swim.

Here is cruise contract you agree to when you book which covers the cruise line.

Carnival’s vessels visit numerous ports in a number of countries. Guests assume responsibility for their own safety and Carnival cannot guarantee Guest’s safety at any time. The United States Department of State, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other governmental and tourist organizations regularly issue advisories and warnings to travelers and Carnival strongly recommends Guests obtain and consider such information when making travel decisions. Carnival assumes no responsibility for gathering said information. The Guest acknowledges that the cruise may be booked in a location that is susceptible to severe weather systems, including but not limited to, hurricanes, tropical storms and depressions, and that Carnival reserves the right to alter the ship’s course, ports of call, itinerary, activity and shore excursions to avoid such weather systems and insure the comfort and safety of the Guest and crew.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@Jerry K if you head over the cruise critic, you'll find thousands of people in the same boat you are in. Unfortunately, that's a part of your cruise contract as Neil mentioned above. It's also one of the problems with cruising during hurricane season. Fares are cheaper because of the unknown. The cruise line doesn't want to change the itinerary but will do it if needed to ensure your safety and the safety of the other passengers and staff.

I don't think you are going to get anything for your change in itinerary. And to your flight, most cruise lines recommend booking a flight after noon. Sometimes ships get in early, sometimes they get in late. Sometimes getting clearance to enter the US mucks up the waters. You just never know. Be happy that you didn't book an earlier flight and the ship had returned late. Then you would have to change your flights.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Jerry, my colleagues have given you great information and advice. It might be helpful for you to read the Terms & Conditions of your cruise contract. Cruise lines operate a business. Business logic tells you that they will not cancel a cruise and lose thousands of dollars. They make changes and arrangements to keep their passengers happy.