Allianz made me a Hurricane Irma victim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 15, 2017
I booked a one way flight from Fort Lauderdale, Fl to Phila., PA on Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017 for Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017 on American Airlines due to the Hurricane Irma life-threatening predictions. I purchased Allianz cancellation insurance because I have leukemia. I was diagnosed in May, 2017. Unfortunately I was too weak to travel as per my doctor's instructions. Allianz has denied my claim citing a pre-existing condition. Hurricane Irma was an act of God and was the sole reason I booked a flight. I feel strongly that an act of God, Hurricane Irma, should negate any pre-existing condition clause in their policy. I was already taken advantage of by American Airlines with an extremely inflated fare. Now Allianz is taking advantage of me. This is not customer
service. This truly feels like customer abuse.

I've emailed my appeal to Allianz and am waiting for a response. I sincerely hope you can help me resolve this issue with Allianz.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The hurricane was not a pre-existing medical condition but your leukemia is. If the policy you bought did not cover a pre-existing medical condition waiver that's why your claim was denied. Did your policy offer that? You also must be well enough to travel on the day you buy the policy and your medical condition must be stable with no changes for a certain amount of time beforehand. However once a storm is already in place when you buy a policy- it isn't covered.

If you have a link to the policy you bought, we can take a look at it to see if you have grounds for appealing.

Were you medically able to travel the day you bought and had the leukemia been stable (with no new medications or flare ups) for 3-6 months before you bought?

It sounds like you were not well enough to travel when you bought the insurance and that's why you were declined.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It could have also, you are correct. You must buy insurance before a storm is named- we really need to see why the claim was not honored.
She says it was the pre-ex medical.

When the Iceland volcano blew a few years ago that stopped almost all flights to Europe you could not buy insurance that would cover your canceled flights once the volcano erupted. If you had wisely bought before- those people were able to file claims and were reimbursed.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I booked a one way flight from Fort Lauderdale, Fl to Phila., PA on Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017 for Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017 on American Airlines due to the Hurricane Irma life-threatening predictions. I purchased Allianz cancellation insurance because I have leukemia. I was diagnosed in May, 2017. Unfortunately I was too weak to travel as per my doctor's instructions. Allianz has denied my claim citing a pre-existing condition. Hurricane Irma was an act of God and was the sole reason I booked a flight. I feel strongly that an act of God, Hurricane Irma, should negate any pre-existing condition clause in their policy. I was already taken advantage of by American Airlines with an extremely inflated fare. Now Allianz is taking advantage of me. This is not customer
service. This truly feels like customer abuse.

I've emailed my appeal to Allianz and am waiting for a response. I sincerely hope you can help me resolve this issue with Allianz.
I'm confused ... your doctor forbid you to travel at some point between the time you booked the tix and the time of the flight? In a 24 hour time period? A pre-existing medical condition has nothing to do with a hurricane. I'm sorry you're learning about travel insurance the hard way. If you cancelled the flight, you should have a credit towards a future trip, less the cancel/change fee.