Alamo Damage Recovery unit Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 10, 2018
My daughter and I recently rented a car from Alamo at the Atlanta Airport and drove to Alabama (as my daughter is interested in attending the University of Alabama). We arrived in Alabama and the next day noticed that the car was leaking a lot of pink fluid. We called my husband (who owns an auto repair shop) and he stated that it could be transmission fluid and we could not drive it all the way back to Atlanta. I called Alamo roadside assistance, told them the issue; and they sent a tow truck to to tow the car and take us to get another vehicle. We got the new vehicle and returned it to the Atlanta airport. We have been home a month and today I received a letter from their Damage Recovery Unit telling me to file a claim to my insurance company or to my credit card company to pay. They did not send any other information as to what the damage is, cost etc. I read through these forums but just want to know should I call the Damage Recovery Unit on Monday morning to see what the damage they are claiming is as well as cost etc or should I email them asking for documentation, photos etc?
I am so upset because this was a mechanical issue and was not our fault! We took pictures of the car leaking fluid as well as the fluid itself which I do plan on sending to them.
Please help!
Thank you!!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Mar 10, 2018
I emailed them first thing Monday morning asking for more info (damage they claim was done, cost etc.) as well as all maintenance reports and haven’t heard anything from them. Should I email again?

Mar 10, 2018
Received email from them today stating that we are responsible for the damage. Said it was coolant leak and want me to pay for replacement of the radiator. Amount is $748.09 ($648.09 was damage and $100.00 administrative fee). Also, sent pictures of cracked radiator. My husband said that it is impossible to damage the radiator without damaging the actual car because it is protected by bumper and should also have had a cover over it that is not in the picture they sent. I am waiting for my husband to look up the Vin # etc. before I respond. Should I respond back to Damage Recovery Unit? I am so upset they are trying to make me pay for this!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should stop responding to the Damage Recovery Unit and use our contacts for the Corporate Offices of Alamo we have listed on top of our company contacts. The Corporate office is the one who can get this waived - Damage Recovery is going to keep hammering at you. If you read the initial post under Company Contacts, it tells you exactly how to escalate this up the Corporate Chain.

Mar 10, 2018
I emailed david nestor (first corporate contact) on Tuesday informing him of everything that I stated above. I also said that there are no pictures of the splash shield that protects the radiator from damage. Today I reveived a voicemail from customer service in Atlanta telling me that the radiator was damaged due to an impact made and that they are still pursuing payment from us. She said there was only 5 miles on vehicle and since we were first ones to rent, we caused the damage. We did not hit anything or damage the car in any way!
Should I email her back or should I go to the next corporate contact? This is infuriating.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Move to the next executive. Are you sure no one backed into the car while you were sleeping? It is odd that you had no problem with the car until the next day when you found it leaking. That means there was nothing wrong with the car when you picked it up.

Where and how was it parked overnight? That’s the only thing I can think of - it wasn’t leaking when you picked it up was it?

Mar 10, 2018
I did not notice any leak when I picked up the car. There was no exterior damage to the car whatsoever so nobody hit it. It was parked at th hotel overnight.