Airbnb urine stained bed their suggested refund $100

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 25, 2017
St. Maarten
IMG_0901.JPG Last weekend stayed at an Airbnb in East Boston. First night could not sleep was not able to breath from the smell. After a few hours i discovered the apartment had more than 5 super concentrated air freshners. I found them hidden all over and took them out to the balcony, at 3 am problem was solved, hostess was informed.

The bed was very soft and it had this horrendous plastic matress protector that made it even worse, i put up with this the first 2 nights.

The third night i decided to take the plastic cover out and flip the mattress to see if it was firmer on the other side. To my surprise i founded another unhygenic dirty cloth matress cover with a major stain What seemed like urine.

Hostess contacted no answer. I asked for a 500 refund they refused, contacted Airbnb via the resolution center and they offered $100 as a gesture.

I declined the unsatisfactory offer and escalated to a senior manager of Airbnb they ignored my request, still waiting to see if they will comply with my escalation request.

What is your opinion after you read the above and see the speak by itself attached picture?

May 25, 2017
St. Maarten
Did you contact Airbnb immediately while you were there? That is what their terms and conditions say you must do- contact them and you also should have left after doing so. That is absolutely disgusting.

If you did not contact them you are pretty much out of luck.
I was in contact with the hostess since day 1 via the Airbnb site. Also i used the resplution center which they first recommend to try to resolve with the hostess. After not having any success with the hostess contacted Airbnb via the same resolution center and they offered 100 dollars which is not acceptable.

Jan 6, 2015
I was in contact with the hostess since day 1 via the Airbnb site. Also i used the resplution center which they first recommend to try to resolve with the hostess. After not having any success with the hostess contacted Airbnb via the same resolution center and they offered 100 dollars which is not acceptable.
To assist you further we will need the name of the property.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017
St. Maarten
Did you contact Airbnb immediately while you were there? That is what their terms and conditions say you must do- contact them and you also should have left after doing so. That is absolutely disgusting.

If you did not contact them you are pretty much out of luck.
What is your opinion do i deserve a credit? 100 you think is reasonable? Boston was full that weekend so I had no options to go stay somewhere else

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you had left early because it was unacceptable , I'd say you had a better chance at more. But you stayed so I am not sure how much more you can get.

We need to see the property, the ratings and we need to know the total you paid before we can say anything. If there were warning signs in the ratings and you chose it anyway you have a different story.

May 25, 2017
St. Maarten
If you had left early because it was unacceptable , I'd say you had a better chance at more. But you stayed so I am not sure how much more you can get.

We need to see the property, the ratings and we need to know the total you paid before we can say anything. If there were warning signs in the ratings and you chose it anyway you have a different story.
The reason I selected Airbnb was because there were limited accommodations for that weekend in Boston and very expensive. I also thought that after having the issue with the super concentrated air fresheners and moving the plastic bed mattress to the side it would be ok, until I discovered that extra filthy, dirty, stained soiled cloth mattress cover underneath. I was there just a few days to be with my graduating daughter not to be dealing with finding new accommodations.

May 25, 2017
St. Maarten

I paid I believe was $828 dollars for the full stay. The ratings were very good only one slight comment that the bed was soft. They have little notes all over the apartment encouraging people to give them a 5 star rating on the exit survey.

I paid I believe was $828 dollars for the full stay. The ratings were very good only one slight comment that the bed was soft. They have little notes all over the apartment encouraging people to give them a 5 star rating on the exit survey.
I am very disappointed with Airbnb in they way they have handled(not) my claim. I would have given someone with this type of picture a full refund and hope he didn't have to reach out to forums like this to solve the problem.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can certainly say that the amount is unacceptable and name a price you would be happy with.

I will caution you that we did have someone not too long ago that was offered an amount from a vacation host, refused it and said she wanted a full refund, and then the Vacation owner backed out and gave her nothing so you need to be careful.

The vacation rental market is totally unregulated or supervised so that is the offset to lower prices. You can just go back and demand that the owner refund you anything or that Airbnb do anything because Airbnb only acts as a go between and takes no responsibility for the rentals.

You might want to call the local health department as that is absolutely disgusting - the owner should be replacing that.

Maybe you could tell the owner you feel that mattress should be thrown out and replaced as it is unsanitary as part of what you ask for.

You can certainly say that the amount is unacceptable and name a price you would be happy with.

I will caution you that we did have someone not too long ago that was offered an amount from a vacation host, refused it and said she wanted a full refund, and then the Vacation owner backed out and gave her nothing so you need to be careful.

The vacation rental market is totally unregulated or supervised so that is the offset to lower prices. You can just go back and demand that the owner refund you anything or that Airbnb do anything because Airbnb only acts as a go between and takes no responsibility for the rentals.

You might want to call the local health department as that is absolutely disgusting - the owner should be replacing that.

Maybe you could tell the owner you feel that mattress should be thrown out and replaced as it is unsanitary as part of what you ask for.
Neil:

They are not budging from the 100 this what i am asking from them:

1) explain the contradiction in policies between the Resolution Center asking to wait 72 hours after you contacted the host before involving them. Then whe you contact them they claim you shold have contacted them in 24 hrs.

2) i want to be contacted by a manager not a clerk or a supervisor.

3) if they do not react i would share my story in as much social media as i can plus Boston Globe, Wsj, Nyt, la times, TripAdvisor

What do you think?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They don't care about the threats to post it all over the Internet. First of all you can contact all the newspapers and most likely this is not enough of a story for them to post it. You should do an honest review on Airbnbs site and TripAdvisor but AirBnb isn't going to care and could say you tried to blackmail them into more money with those threats.

Did you notify Airbnb within 24 hours about the condition of the rental? They would have mOved you. This is what they state you need to do- you still had to contact them within 24 hours of arrival. Did you do that? You should have contacted Airbnb and then tried to work on a resolution with the owner. But they need to be notified right away. They would have mob

3. Conditions to Claim a Travel Issue. Only a Guest may submit a claim for a Travel Issue. If you are a Guest, in order to submit a valid claim for a Travel Issue and receive the benefits with respect to your reservation, you are required to meet each of the following conditions:
(a) you must bring the Travel Issue to our attention in writing (airbnb.com/contact) or via telephone and provide us with information (including photographs or other evidence) about the Accommodation and the circumstances of the Travel Issue within 24 hours after the start of your reservation, and must respond to any requests by us for additional information or cooperation on the Travel Issue;
(b) you must not have directly or indirectly caused the Travel Issue (through your action, omission or negligence); and
(c) you must have used reasonable efforts to try to remedy the circumstances of the Travel Issue with the Host prior to making a claim for a Travel Issue.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/guest_refund_policy

Here are some of the terms you agreed to by booking:

YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT AIRBNB IS NOT A PARTY TO ANY AGREEMENTS ENTERED INTO BETWEEN HOSTS AND GUESTS, NOR IS AIRBNB A REAL ESTATE BROKER, AGENT OR INSURER. AIRBNB HAS NO CONTROL OVER THE CONDUCT OF HOSTS, GUESTS AND OTHER USERS OF THE SITE, APPLICATION AND SERVICES OR ANY ACCOMMODATIONS, AND DISCLAIMS ALL LIABILITY IN THIS REGARD TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.

AIRBNB CANNOT AND DOES NOT CONTROL THE CONTENT CONTAINED IN ANY LISTINGS AND THE CONDITION, LEGALITY OR SUITABILITY OF ANY ACCOMMODATIONS. AIRBNB IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR AND DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY RELATED TO ANY AND ALL LISTINGS AND ACCOMMODATIONS. ACCORDINGLY, ANY BOOKINGS WILL BE MADE OR ACCEPTED AT THE MEMBER’S OWN RISK.

There is also info about how to go about disputes near the end.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Neil:

They are not budging from the 100 this what i am asking from them:

1) explain the contradiction in policies between the Resolution Center asking to wait 72 hours after you contacted the host before involving them. Then whe you contact them they claim you shold have contacted them in 24 hrs.

2) i want to be contacted by a manager not a clerk or a supervisor.

3) if they do not react i would share my story in as much social media as i can plus Boston Globe, Wsj, Nyt, la times, TripAdvisor

What do you think?
What is the diff between a manager and a supervisor? Just curious.

It sounds like you discovered the disgusting mattress after 24 hrs anyway so that is not relevant. To the extent that you paid for a place not fit for a human being is relevant. I like Neil's suggestions re: contacting various regulatory agencies. However, the owner can return your money if she wants. You have the best leverage with her, especially if she relies on the property rental as a source of income.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That is the ONLY leverage because Airbnb is not responsible for anything other than matchmaking an owner and renter.

Their terms and conditions make that clear. You want to put this owner out of the rental business which is why I said to report it to the Health Dept.

Although they may not be able to do anything. You may need to go to Small Claims Court but I think a judge is going to ask you why you didn't leave if it was that bad. Boston is an expensive city but I would have paid $300 a night to get out of a urine stained room.

Truly, post that picture on the review site. You should warn others how disgusting the place is so they don't rent from her. She may decide to give you more for removing the review.

Jan 6, 2015
Recapping your statements:
  • You rented an Airbnb in East Boston this past weekend because "there were limited accommodations for that weekend in Boston and very expensive"
  • On the third night you discovered a urine-soaked mattress cover underneath a noisy plastic one.
  • You were "there just a few days" and did not want "to be dealing with finding new accommodations".
  • You paid "$828 dollars for the full stay".
  • You said "I would have given someone with this type of picture a full refund".
I see from your Facebook page that you are a resort manager. I'm sure that your position there affects your approach in this matter (as it would for any of us).

That said, what seems relevant is that you continued to stay another night (or two ?) rather than asking to be re-accommodated. Your time with your daughter is understandable, but this was still your decision.

I do completely understand your position and what you would have done as a manager, but this may likely have their best offer ...

Last edited:
May 17, 2016
View attachment 1317 Last weekend stayed at an Airbnb in East Boston. First night could not sleep was not able to breath from the smell. After a few hours i discovered the apartment had more than 5 super concentrated air freshners. I found them hidden all over and took them out to the balcony, at 3 am problem was solved, hostess was informed.

The bed was very soft and it had this horrendous plastic matress protector that made it even worse, i put up with this the first 2 nights.

The third night i decided to take the plastic cover out and flip the mattress to see if it was firmer on the other side. To my surprise i founded another unhygenic dirty cloth matress cover with a major stain What seemed like urine.

Hostess contacted no answer. I asked for a 500 refund they refused, contacted Airbnb via the resolution center and they offered $100 as a gesture.

I declined the unsatisfactory offer and escalated to a senior manager of Airbnb they ignored my request, still waiting to see if they will comply with my escalation request.

What is your opinion after you read the above and see the speak by itself attached picture?
What a dreadful experience! While I understand your reason for staying in such a revolting place, the fact that you did stay weakens your case. You (figuratively) ate the steak, and then said you didn't like it. I'm afraid the $100 is the best you can get. But, by all means, post your honest review.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What a dreadful experience! While I understand your reason for staying in such a revolting place, the fact that you did stay weakens your case. You (figuratively) ate the steak, and then said you didn't like it. I'm afraid the $100 is the best you can get. But, by all means, post your honest review.
If you read the post above yours, he received a full refund when the writers got involved.