1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

AIG Travel Insurance Plan, Deluxe

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Joni Geiser, May 18, 2017.

1. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Call your credit card company, one of my cards that has TI Benefits is a Chase Sapphire Reserve card and it only requires a portion of the trip to be paid for in order trigger insurance benefits. So call and ask to speak with the dept that handles Those benefits, this is not necessarily the CS agent who answers the phone.
    As to Delta, did you travel on a single itinerary, including the first leg stuck on the runway? Some of my colleagues can chime in but a "Trip in Vain" generally results in a CASH (to orig pmt source) you were not a No Show unless you had a seperate set of reservations from the US to Nice? Last question who booked your entire air reservations from your home airport??

You purchased Travel Insurance, you did the right things with the exception of not immediately contacting AIG. I think there are several places to appeal this starting with Star Clipper! So hang in there and we will walk you thru what you should do next.

jsn55, ADM and VoR61 like this.
  2. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Star Clipper seems to be offering CSA Travel Insurance on their website now.

Can you post a link to your policy? You should have received the policy or a link to the policy shortly after purchasing it.

VoR61 likes this.
  3. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

4. Joni Geiser

I followed the link. It looks different from the policy I downloaded. I see what you are saying about Missed Connection, and we were delayed 3 hours. However, on page 1 of this link, it says they pay only $500. for missed connection, not the cost of the trip. It stinks, but at least our policy pays $1,000. per traveler. Just as an aside, I thank all of you for your attention to our problem. It really helps to know someone cares!

Nancy and VoR61 like this.
  5. ADM

ADM

Since you missed your entire trip through no fault of your own perhaps Star Clipper will credit what you've already spent toward a future cruise. As for the "missed connection" clause you didn't simply get delayed a little longer and have to take a later flight. You missed out on the whole trip and that should count for more than 1K per passenger.

Call me cynical but here goes. Is it possible you are indeed entitled to more of a reimbursement but Star Clipper wants to hold onto it? You said you booked the plane tickets through them. Like JVillegirl541 said earlier a trip in vain entitles you to a cash refund, yet Star Clipper is telling you that you get nothing but juvenile emojis. Delta may have refunded part of your ticket back to them. Wouldn't that amount be owed to you?

jsn55 and VoR61 like this.
  6. Joni Geiser

I scanned the policy and will attach.

Attached Files:

7. Christina H

I would not be amused to receive emojis after missing an expensive trip.

Can the OP post part of the policy terms? Sometimes the claim adjusters try to minimize the claim. Can the claim be appealed?

I feel that the passengers were really let down. I wonder if Deltra did not try to book them on partner airlines because it was a less expensive cruise sold airline ticket that could not be endorsed. There are late AF flights to Paris that one could connect onwards to Nice, but I am not certain if the OPs would have gotten to the port on time.

And it is strange that the cruise did not try to accommodate the passengers.

Edit: I see that the policy was posted as I was writing.

VoR61 likes this.
  8. Christina H

Why would this not be trip cancellation under the policy as you were not able to go on the trip? Oh please rescan and take out your personal info, just for safety..

JVillegirl541 likes this.
  9. VoR61

Advocate

In Post #16 of this thread you stated "We purchased our flights through Star Clipper."

So I searched the Star Clipper site for the Ts and Cs of the airline accommodations and found them here: www.starclipperscruises.com/cruise_info/airline_reservations.cfm

On that page they state:

And finally, sometimes unexpected things occur that affect travel plans. Flight delays or cancellations, changes in cruise ship arrival or departure times, and cancellation of sailings altogether, are some of the things that can force you to rebook at a later time or date or seek a refund for your airline tickets. If any of these things should happen before or during your vacation, you will not be eligible for assistance from the cruise line if you arranged your own airline tickets. However, if we secure your tickets through the cruise line's AIR/SEA program, some cruise lines will assist you in working with the airline to make alternate flight plans, help you catch up with your ship at the next port, or apply for a refund. Your cruise counselor will verify the details of each cruise line’s AIR/SEA program at the time of booking.
    Unless I missed something, it seems that Star Clipper should issue a refund irrespective of what the insurance policy covers. They also could (should?) have offered to assist with another port connection.

Nancy, George M, jsn55 and 2 others like this.
  10. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

If this is One Delta Intinerary from the first leg to the last leg then this may be eligible for a Full Refund of Air. The term "Trip in Vain" may also apply. We need additional info as to how this is booked, ALL One itinerary (reservation) or ?

11. Christina H

From emojis to optimistic connection times, it sounds as if the OPs were totally let down by the cruise company. I do not think they should not give up but continue in their quest in a polite and reasonable tone.

VoR61 has found important information that should help the OPs.

VoR61 likes this.
  12. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

i think we have several issues here that an Appeal to a couple different issues. Star Clippers and Trips to Go did not seem to provided the service required under the T & C, Delta may well owe a full refund and not a credit based on a couple different issues IF this is one Itinerary.

VoR61 likes this.
  13. VoR61

Advocate

14. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Once again that's ONLY if that first Delayed leg was all apart of the International Flight and not two separate reservations.
    I question this because of the Term NO SHOW was used.

15. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I think you should persue this with Star Clippers. They should have told you they would help get you to one of the ports instead of the response you receive before.

What did your travel agent say?

VoR61 likes this.
  16. VoR61

Advocate

The number of reservations should not matter if she booked through Star Clippers. They clearly (to me) cover missed connections.

Neil likes this.
  17. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

But did our LW book the first leg to get to the International departure airport.

18. VoR61

Advocate

She said only "I booked my flights (plural)", so I take that to mean all. But your question is a good one for her to answer ...

19. Christina H

Considering Delta tried to get the OP another flight from London to Nice I would think it was done as all one itinerary. (Delta attempted to put us on a flight from NY to Nice with a stopover in London, but it was full)

It sounds like Delta tried to get the OPs on the 10:30 pm flight to London to connect onwards but there was no room. It does not sound as if Delta tried to get the OPs on the 11:30 pm Air France flight to Paris to connect onwards.

Delta does sell the same itinerary that the OPs had on their website, (Phil to Nice) with less than 2 hours connection time at JFK.

I am curious as to the rationale as why a weather delay would be covered and not Air Traffic Control. Both of these issues are out of control of the airline.

JVillegirl541 and VoR61 like this.
  20. Algebralovr

I believe you need to pursue this further through the cruise line. You stated you called them, and the agent said he would let them know you were not coming? That is crazy! He should have assisted you in meeting the ship!

You cannot always meet the ship, but you usually can in Europe. The insurance company would have likely paid for a ticket to the next port of the ship.

I hope you purue this and good luck.

Neil, Nancy, jsn55 and 1 other person like this.