Aer Lingus Booking Charges Without Confirmation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 24, 2020
Late in the afternoon on Jan 20, 2020, I made a reservation on the Aer Lingus website and received booking confirmation xxxxxx and my credit card was charged $173.99 euro by Aer Lingus. Early in the morning on Jan 21 I phoned Aer Lingus to request a date change to the flight. The Aer Lingus representative said she changed the date of the flight at no charge since the request was made much less than 24 hours after the original booking. She also said I would receive email confirmation. By the evening of Jan 21 I had not received an email confirmation and there was no flight associated with xxxxxxx visible on the Aer Lingus website. So I called Aer Lingus again on Jan 21 and talked to Bridgette in their New York office (case reference #xxxxxxx). She confirmed the flight had been changed as I requested and at no charge since the request was made less than 24 hours after the booking. She also said I would receive email confirmation the following day. Today, on Jan 26, I have no email confirmation and the flight is not visible on the website so I do not have confidence I will be able to board the flight. Information from Aer Lingus about booking xxxxx from the online help desk responses has been inconsistent and confusing. Some of the messages say I may not cancel, change or receive a refund on the original ticket - even though according to multiple phone representatives the change is already made. The bigger problem is that I do not have a written (email) confirmation or online access to the booking and none of the Aer Lingus representatives have addressed that . Therefore, I have been left with no other choice than to make a separate reservation. Now I have paid twice for the same flight and will rely on the separate booking to complete my travel. I want a refund of charges associated with xxxxxxx in the amount of $193.89USD.

Edited by moderator to remove case numbers and confirmation numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
When is the scheduled date of your travel and what is the itinerary?

Have you pursued this using Aer Lingus contacts by email? A series of undocumented phone conversations will not likely lead to a solution.
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/aer-lingus/

For the future, a better way to have dealt with this since you were within the 24 hr cancelation window would have simply been to cancel the first reservation and make a second independent booking online without any phone calls. Having now made a second booking has greatly complicated your issue since you are beyond the free cancelation of your first reservation.

You need to use the contacts above to try to resolve this. Ultimately, you may be faced with contesting the first booking with your credit card but the lack of an email trail will make that an uphill battle.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Before you rebooked, did you verify the email address that you had input? If there was an error in the email, the confirmations might have been going to a wrong email. And did you check your spam folder for the email?

I notice you are in Italy- does Italy have the same consumer protections the US does with refunds within 24 hours?

You now have a problem because you needed to have canceled your first reservation within 24 hours to receive a refund. We have company contacts on top of our page you could have used to escalate this before you booked a second ticket. I would cancel the second ticket since it’s been less then 24 hours and work with Aer Lingus to get that confirmation for the first one. Hopefully the flight is more then 7 days away.

I would suggest you use the company contacts on top of our page for AerLingus and escalate this.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Unfortunately, your issue is the same as for travellers who decide they don't want to fly somewhere because it's dangerous. In the eyes of an airline, these are not valid reasons to cancel a non-ref tix. There are lots of reasons that an email confirmation doesn't show up. But it sounds like you took the proper step of checking on their website. But here I'm confused ... you state that "the flight is not visible on the website" ... do you mean that your AL confirmation number does not bring up your flight? Or that the flight itself has disappeared from AL's schedule? From whom did you purchase the second tix? If you have enough time, you may be able to straighten this out. But it will take a great deal of effort and time on your part. I am coming to the conclusion that calling an airline is sometimes futile ... seems as though we read far too many stories of phone agents not handling things correctly.

Jan 24, 2020
Yes, I mean that the Aer LIngus booking confirmation does not bring up the flight on their website. The flight is still listed on their schedule. I purchased the 2nd ticket on the webpage also. I have plenty of time to straighten it out now because I have booked a separate flight, which I hope they will leave in place. Well, it's good to know that phone agents are not a reliable way to communicate. I can use that in the future.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, I mean that the Aer LIngus booking confirmation does not bring up the flight on their website. The flight is still listed on their schedule. I purchased the 2nd ticket on the webpage also. I have plenty of time to straighten it out now because I have booked a separate flight, which I hope they will leave in place. Well, it's good to know that phone agents are not a reliable way to communicate. I can use that in the future.
You actually don’t have plenty of time because you had 24 hours to cancel the reservation at no charge and it seems like that time has passed for both reservations. Legally- you now have two non refundable reservations.

Did you verify your email address was correct when you called for the first reservation?

Please use our company contacts right away and start contacting AerLingus. This is how to write:
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Reactions: VoR61
Jan 24, 2020
Well, I did request the change well within 24 hours and twice with phone representatives who both said the change was made and promised an email confirmation that never showed up. AL has sent me multiple emails that did not include the confirmation of the flight - so they have the correct email. I have also checked my spam folders. Also, the booking reference is not recognized by their website. The only contact listed on the Elliott.org page that I have not pursued at Aer Lingus is the VP of Customer Service. At this point, I have lost faith in Aer Lingus and will add them to my mental list of companies including AT&T and Anthem Blue Cross who state their policy and do not follow through unless forced to do so by a government entity. They count on clients giving up because it isn't worth the time to pursue. Anthem sent me $10,000 for medical bills I paid for my son that they wouldn't pay at the time he needed the service only because they were forced to do so by the state government. Because the number was so high, I was willing to see the grievance process through to completion, which took almost a year. If Aer Lingus chooses not do the right thing - after I've filed 4 complaints online and been told by 2 phone representatives the problem was solved - then I will avoid doing business with them and accurately represent their business practices in online review forums. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Jan 24, 2020
By the way - KUDOS to the Resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail article! It is great advice for any grievance - in or outside the travel industry:)

Reactions: VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Use our contacts and write to VP of Customer Service right away. Give him or her a week to reply and repeat with executive if necessary. Repeat weekly. But please ask them to verify the email address they sent the confirmations to.

Let us know how it works out. I’ve dealt with AerLingus for many years and haven’t seen anything like this before- I hope they will help.