Adult selection vs Senior

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 6, 2018
I just booked my 82 yr old Dad on United but selected ADULT instead of SENIOR (did not realize it was a drop down). His age is listed correctly in his info but his ticket reads ADULT. 18-64 Is this going to cause an issue for him at the airport?

Sep 19, 2015
No this is just a fare category for pricing -- UA sometimes gives some senior discounts, but those are few and far between nowadays.

From the UA website:

United offers senior fares to selected travel destinations for passengers who are 65 and older. Ask for more details on these great fares when you make your reservation or select the seniors (age 65 and older) category when you make your booking on united.com.

I just did a random test of LGA to DEN and the price was the same for adult as it was for senior -- so no discount.

There will be no problem with your dad, hope he has a safe flight.

Sep 19, 2015
If your dad has any mobility issues be sure to reserve a wheelchair or assistance for him. If he is traveling out of Newark that can only help, as Terminal C is large, and they are doing renovations in various areas there so there is less room to walk and people can push (I was there earlier this week). If he is flying out of Terminal A it is still helpful to have the assistance because of the security lines and configurations.

Just the usual warnings, arrive 2 hours early for flight -- and if he needs any special accommodations for seats, call the Accessibility Department at 1-800-228-2744.

Hoping for the best for your dad's trip.

Apr 6, 2018
If your dad has any mobility issues be sure to reserve a wheelchair or assistance for him. If he is traveling out of Newark that can only help, as Terminal C is large, and they are doing renovations in various areas there so there is less room to walk and people can push (I was there earlier this week). If he is flying out of Terminal A it is still helpful to have the assistance because of the security lines and configurations.

Just the usual warnings, arrive 2 hours early for flight -- and if he needs any special accommodations for seats, call the Accessibility Department at 1-800-228-2744.

Hoping for the best for your dad's trip.
Thank you for the advice, Christina. I did reserve a wheelchair - I will pass on the 800 number!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
On SW the Senior fare is a little higher but it is totally refundable /$ back/ if you need to cancel. So it actually works as an insurance policy built right in.
Yes; this is one I was talking about. We always check to see if the pricing is better then buying an insurance policy it not (or if it’s even worth it when SW pricing is inexpensive.)