Accused of damage to rental car - Enterprise

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 16, 2018
Got call from Enterprise Damage Claims whom I did not speak to, then Geico who covered the insurance at that time. I didn't take photos on collection or recovery and dropped off keys to an un-manned office for reasons I can indulge if required.

Rental period was from 09/09/17 – 09/30/17. Car was "checked-in" on 10/02/17. Received phone call on 01/12/18. Car was returned undamaged.

Spoke to Geico claims advisor 01/16/18. I emailed him my Rental Agreement which I received 10/25/17 and was hoping that this was enough proof for acceptable recovery. Prior to this I was being pushed into giving a recorded version of my side. I did not provide one. He said I would be responsible as I could not prove that I did not damage the car with reference to it not being checked when returned and the Rental Agreement did not prove anything. I am hoping that the vehicle has been rented out but cannot prove that.

He called Enterprise Claims Damages and said damage was to Handle Lift Gate and $562 to call Enterprise Claims Damages and Geico would not be involved. He also said that Enterprise apparently left a message which I don't believe I received.

He also said he asked if the rental car had been used since October and they replied, no.

What should I do next?

I intend to do as suggested on the forums by communicating via email/writing only. Currently they have only called and I did not provide my insurers information. Enterprise Damage Claims must have got this information themselves.

With the Rental Agreement I do have the information from Enterprise regarding the vehicle, including mileage done, mileage on clock, VIN, Reg number etc and I intend to use this against them.

Should I call and ask for an email or address to be sent for documentation to prove the case in writing? So far there has been no threat of collection agency's.

I have been told by Geico that the amount of damage is $562 and my deductible was $750 therefor to pay them the former amount. This does not seem like a great sum of money, however I am unemployed at this time and sure I didn't cause any damage to the vehicle.

Any advice welcome.

Jan 16, 2018
Hi Neil,

Thank you for the response.

Prior to my post I did read your guide as well as lots of other posts however where my case is different is – I have only been contacted by telephone. That is why I asked if I should contact Enterprise Damages and ask for a contact email and then send off the request for information – as per the link above.

Its too bad you didn't find us before you got your insurance company involved.
It was the insurance that called myself the Monday after the Friday when the Enterprise Damage Recovery called. Basically, Enterprise Damage Recovery must have known about my coverage at the time – I did not speak to Enterprise Damage Recovery and have yet to do so. Yes, I did talk to the insurance claims adjuster from Geico but to no avail it seems. However, I did not give a voluntarily recorded message.

The short question is, should I contact corporate only with the request information for the claim of alleged damage? I am assuming that by not involving Enterprise Damage Recovery that this is fair-play and would mean I would need to reference my letter of requests to what it is pertaining to i.e. Enterprise Damage Recovery claim.

If my email is only going to corporate, would it be a good idea to emphasize the point that I am a regular Enterprise customer and therefor mention a severe feeling of disappointment and lack of trust?

Thanks again for the response. I look forward to anything else. This is un-chartered territory for me.

Jan 16, 2018
If you have only been contacted by phone - leave it alone. When you get a demand and case number - then follow the process.
Yes, so far only telephone and I have not verbally responded. Then if they leave a message of a demand, I will send corporate the email with reference to the demand.

Thank you again. I was previously under the impression that other consumers had been emailing the rental car claims centers. Will update in due course, if necessary.

Just want to mention that at first the insurance were mentioning the deductible that "we" were to be responsible for. This figure is $750. The Geico claims person — prior to the claims adjuster being appointed said damage was to the camera as well as lift gate. So, I was thinking, new camera = $750+ then when the adjuster from Geico spoke to Enterprise he didn't mention camera and was told cost is $532 and basically Geico were backing off saying to call Enterprise and pay.

I find it hard to believe that the rental car hadn't been used since October. If you're sure that you didn't damage the lift gate handle then this is a perfect case to take as far as you can go with it. Wait for a written claim and then follow Neil's advice. Enterprise has probably called everyone who rented the car in the last few months to see if someone will cough up the damage charge.

By the way, even if I had damaged the lift gate handle I would argue that it was faulty to begin with. There's not much you can do wrong to damage one of these.

Jan 16, 2018
I find it hard to believe that the rental car hadn't been used since October. If you're sure that you didn't damage the lift gate handle then this is a perfect case to take as far as you can go with it. Wait for a written claim and then follow Neil's advice. Enterprise has probably called everyone who rented the car in the last few months to see if someone will cough up the damage charge.

By the way, even if I had damaged the lift gate handle I would argue that it was faulty to begin with. There's not much you can do wrong to damage one of these.
Yes, that was what I was told after asking the Geico Claims Adjuster to enquire into the vehicles rental history from October to current. However I will be following the format of ALL the vehicle record. Another exceptional fact is this car came from another state and was a vehicle to cover during the hurricane in TX. So, prior to the rental this vehicle with FL plates was transported and then, what has happened since October and my return? Well, nothing obviously!

Regarding the lift handle. I honestly think it was one of these automatic ones but can't honestly remember for sure. I do know I have never damaged one and it seemed fine at the time.

I appreciate the feedback. If I receive a demand letter I will post a draught here of my respsonse. As I said, unchartered territory.