Accidentally Booked Wrong Date!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 30, 2018
Today I accidentally booked a business stay in Philadelphia through Priceline for February 4th - 7th, instead of March 4th - 7th which is when my travel needs to take place. I realized the mistake as soon as I clicked the confirm button, but it was too late. I called Priceline immediately and they reported that they called the hotel (Philadelphia Downtown Marriott), and that they were waiting for a call back. I tried to be proactive and called the hotel myself, and they said that it was an issue that would need to be handled by Priceline. I called Priceline again but seem to be getting the runaround. Given that I realized the error right away, and that I called immediately to resolve it, I’m struggling to understand why this seems so complicated.

I've drafted a letter to several executives at both Priceline and Marriott, but would like to explore my other options first. I also paid the extra $15 for trip insurance, but it looks like that only applies if the trip is cancelled by an outside force.

I recognize that this was a human error, but I was hoping that I may be able to escalate the conversation to be able to issue a refund. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Jan 6, 2015
From what I read just now, Priceline's cancellation policy for hotels is always subject to the hotel's own policy. I then tried to find this for the Philadelphia Downtown Marriott, but could only do that by simulating a booking. The hotel shows unavailable for March 4th - 7th so I used May insead. Here's what it shows on their website:

Cancelling Your Reservation
You may cancel your reservation for no charge until May 8, 2018 (3 day before arrival).

So this being January 30th, you have little time to cancel. This links will help:
Priceline Hotels: Cancelllation FAQ
Priceline Hotels: Cancellation Form (priceline)
Priceline Hotels: Cancellation How To (getawaytips)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018
@VoR61 Thank you for the info! It is very helpful. I have been back and forth with Priceline all day and they keep brushing me off (stating that they have called the hotel but haven't gotten a response). When I call the Marriott, they say that I need to deal directly with Priceline. I am hoping that it isn't a tactic that will push me past the cancellation window. It doesn't seem ethical.

Jan 6, 2015
You are welcome. If you use the cancellation form you should receive a written receipt of your request (never used it so I can't say for certain). That is essential in this case ...

Jan 30, 2018
@Neil The rate is non-refundable. It was an express deal, so I jumped on it thinking that I had selected 3/4 (the date I need to travel). I understand the policy around cancellations but I called them literally a minute after I booked, and even asked if the amount could just be credited towards the dates that I DO need to travel. I use Priceline all of the time and would consider myself a very loyal customer, but this has me really frustrated!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
@Neil The rate is non-refundable. It was an express deal, so I jumped on it thinking that I had selected 3/4 (the date I need to travel). I understand the policy around cancellations but I called them literally a minute after I booked, and even asked if the amount could just be credited towards the dates that I DO need to travel. I use Priceline all of the time and would consider myself a very loyal customer, but this has me really frustrated!
Unfortunately you found out that non refundable is exactly that - non refundable. It doesn't matter if you discovered it immediately - almost every one of these online agencies refuses to refund when this happens. We have multiple posts about that here - very few are successful. So many people book these "deals" to save a few dollars and then when they make a mistake - find out how much it actually costs them when they can't get a refund.

Read the information in our Company Contacts post and start writing to Priceline executives. You will have to beg for an exception and hope one of them will help you out. You can't go to the hotel itself since you did book with Priceline.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Jan 30, 2018
Unfortunately you found out that non refundable is exactly that - non refundable. It doesn't matter if you discovered it immediately - almost every one of these online agencies refuses to refund when this happens. We have multiple posts about that here - very few are successful. So many people book these "deals" to save a few dollars and then when they make a mistake - find out how much it actually costs them when they can't get a refund.

Read the information in our Company Contacts post and start writing to Priceline executives. You will have to beg for an exception and hope one of them will help you out. You can't go to the hotel itself since you did book with Priceline.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Thank you. I already tried sending my plea to Todd Provino at the email provided on this site (and every variation of it that I could think of) but unfortunately they kept getting bounced back as "undeliverable". Looks like my next contact will be the CEO. I normally would never even make a mistake like this but I'm a new mom who also returned to work recently and my brain is just frazzled. I hope that they will do the right thing.

Jan 30, 2018
All- I am happy to report a positive outcome! After several back and forth exchanges between Priceline and The Marriott (each telling me that I needed to contact the other), I decided to call Priceline, establish clearly what needed to happen (in this case Priceline stated that they needed to get in touch with the Marriott to cancel the reservation), and then put Priceline on hold while I called the Marriott myself and merged the calls. This allowed me to get myself, Priceline, and a representative from Marriott on the phone and put an end to the back and forth. Throughout the entire transaction I remained polite, and the Priceline representative even stated that she was impressed with the way that it was handled. The money has been refunded to my account. Three lessons learned from this experience: don't give up-- if one avenue doesn't work, keep on trying; kindness goes a long way; and ALWAYS triple check the dates of your bookings before clicking "confirm".

Thank you to this forum for all of your help.

Jan 6, 2015
Excellent news and creative problem-solving on your part. This resolution may have also been achieved because you caught it right away, so bear in mind for future bookings what I posted above. Express Deals or Name Your Price are not refundable.