1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

A fair and evenhanded way of handling comments?

Discussion in 'First visit? Read this' started by Christopher Elliott, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Director

J. Atkins and Steve like this.
  2. Steve

Steve Moderator
    Staff Member News Curator

I agree with you 100 percent.

Christopher Elliott likes this.
  3. VoR61

Advocate

Pursuing the Holy Grail again, eh?

4. technomage1

Staff Member Advocate

I agree as well. It seemed every single column was food for the sharks for a while. There's nothing wrong with pointing out things that could've been done differently as a learning experience - provided a solution is also offered and the tone is sympathetic in nature. Exclaiming gleefully the customer is a fool who was totally at fault because of x,y, and z isn't helpful in a consumer advocates column. I stopped posting a lot because of it. I just didn't want to argue about it every single time.

Good luck with the new system.

VoR61 likes this.
  5. J. Atkins

If you ever read the comments at consumerist.com - before they got hacked repeatedly - you'd have seen that snark was the order of the day. And for that site, it's part of the personality. But it was disheartening to see how many people jumped straight to blaming the victim, even when the issue was something that could catch anyone off guard. And so many times: "you should have known better than to do business with XYZ Business." I look forward to a forum that serves as a place to agree or disagree respectfully.

6. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Director

Well, it seems to be working. At least I think so.

I remember the pre-hack Consumerist comments, too. It was too much. It actually turned me off from reading what was otherwise a great site.

I've thought about some of the commenters we've lost. Many were industry experts who occasionally had brilliant insights into a story. But they were also recreational arguers and company apologists (oh, there I go again with that word).

For the record, the worst we ever did was to publicly warn these commenters that their behavior violated our policy. They left on their own.

Do I miss having 200 or more comments per post? Sure. But our traffic is way up. People are reading the site again. I think the new policy was the right move.

Rahoolian, J. Atkins and Mike Z like this.