1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

7041 East Presidio, Scottsdale AZ listed on VRBO and travelmob

Discussion in 'Vacation Rentals' started by Cary on, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Cary on

I rented this property October 6-8 2017 on the VRBO website. After negotiating an agreed upon price, I sent a $800 refundable security deposit. The rental itself was ok, but now almost two months later, I can't get my deposit back. On the various listings mentioned, there are different owners listed (travelmob, Victoria, and Parker) and on my contract a fourth owner is listed. After contacting all four owners, I have received no responses ( I resent requests two more times). VRBO say's it's policy is to let owners and renter work it out, ie: they don't want to get involved. Travelmob won't even return a response. A fourth owner listed, NEC of Scottsdale may have gone out of business. The parent of VRBO and travelmob, Homeaway is also giving me a load of BS. These sites don't screen their listings and if a problem exists, they don't want to get involved. I plan to contact the AZ Attorney General to file a formal complaint against Homeaway, VRBO, travelmob, NEC, VRSimple (their agents and my first point of contact) and their help desk (helpdesk@rentalguest.com). I suspect all listings associated have a fraudulent component to it.

2. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

How did you pay the security deposit? If it was through a credit card, dispute the amount with your bank (I believe the formal term is chargeback). The owners will have to respond otherwise the bank will find in favor of you.

jsn55 and George M like this.
  3. Cary on

I paid via bank transfer. My bank has yet to respond to my inquiry if they can do anything.

4. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

I think VRBO has updated its terms and bank wire transfer is an approved method of payment.

5. Realitoes

If you completed the booking through the Homeaway/VRBO checkout, you should be able to file a claim under their "Book with Confidence Guarantee".

If you did not use that method, then you will need to seek redress directly from the property owner. This may require you filing your case in small claims court if they do not respond. You can find out who owns the property from tax records, available at https://mcassessor.maricopa.gov/. I would recommend writing them a polite letter asking for your deposit, first.

Neil likes this.
  6. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

@Cary on the actual agent Charles Sullivan is a Licensed RE Agent in the State of Arizona and represents this property for rent thru Progressive Residential LLC. In looking up this office Charles is NOT the managing broker (this is who is responsible for agents activities). Start by contacting the Broker and if you don’t get any response, immediately file a complaint with the Arizona Real Estate Division. What you wrote in Rip Off is long but it will get the job done. Turning off water & power as a means of eviction is not legal. By making a complaint with the RE Division that will put their licenses at risk.

But prepared to supply the Az RE Division with your paper trail.
    Good Luck

jsn55, Patina and Neil like this.
  7. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

@Cary on I sent you a private message with the owners name and mailing address. They are part owners by way of their Family Trust.

jsn55 and Neil like this.
  8. Just A Guy

Looks like one of the owners (Allan G. Kern, of Paradise Valley, AZ, is the owner of 27th Ave Investors LLC, one of the co-owners of the property) settled a securities fraud charge for a pump and dump scam in the 1990s. https://www.sec.gov/litigation/litreleases/lr16847.htm

jsn55 likes this.
  9. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

@Cary on ?? Did you get the address? I can see you have logged in but did you find the PM?

10. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Never buy anything from a guy who lives in Paradise Valley.

joycexyz likes this.
  11. Dana Merrithew

I rented this property also early November with identical problem. I rented thru Airbnb and their response was similar to VRBO in stating there is nothing they can do since the money was sent outside the Airbnb site. I would bet that this scam has happened to anyone renting this property.

12. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Owners:
    Allan & Carol Kern (Kern Family Trust)
    And this is their mailing address. I would send them a polite letter and a copy of the complaint filed with the RE Division.

Charles Sullivan is a Licensed RE Agent and is the Rental mgr for this property or was as of a few days ago. You need to report this entire transaction to the State of Arizona Real Estate Commissioner Office. File a formal complaint against the Agent.

Patina likes this.
  13. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Cant you post a review with that information?

You should fight with Airbnb to take that listing down.

14. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

This is the Leasing Agent for this property. He is who you need to contact and then file a complaint with the Arizona Real Estate Division.

7A528FEF-7521-4D6A-9838-147D18405F1A.jpeg C6EB53DE-A2D3-40A2-8E25-AA3D7A85928D.jpeg

15. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

923A33AB-0B72-464D-B2CD-4C3947CF4770.jpeg They may have just switched rental agents and here is what appears to be the new agent for this property.

Patina likes this.
  16. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

17. Dana Merrithew

I have gone to Airbnb several times. They have a policy that all payments must go thru them. If you make a payment outside Airbnb they have no leverage. Unfortunately when you have 9 guys on the way to Scottsdale and the rental agency says you must make a deposit you either do it or put the entire trip in limbo for 9 people.

18. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

But putting it in limbo vs losing all your money is a better option. You should be suspicious when they are asking you to do something that is not Airbnb policy. That’s a red flag.

19. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

20. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Patina likes this.