47 Royal Caribbean passengers sick with gastrointestinal bug

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
I found this interesting...Royal Caribbean spokesman Owen Torres told Fox News the itinerary has been adjusted in the wake of the outbreak and will now return home on Jan. 12, instead of Jan. 10, as initially planned..

That doesn't normally happen.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
But on a cruise ship you can't get off. You're TRAPPED with 500 other infected people. If you're at a hotel or convention center, you can walk out the door and leave.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What about the jail that was infected? Stuff happens and most of the time it is because people are slobs and don't wash their hands, put their hands in buffet items instead of using the utensils that are out. I can't tell you how many times on cruise ships that I have seen people use the bathroom and not wash their hands. Its a miracle that this isn't more frequent.

The point is this happens EVERYWHERE not just on ships.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
My wife came down with norovirus last friday night.

I came down with norovirus on Sunday night. I was completely laid out monday - and most of Tues - and I have lost and maintained the loss of 10 lbs since last sunday.

I call it the Norovirus Diet - because it is.

It's truly miserable. But you can catch it lying in your own bed also.

Jan 6, 2015
This is not a justification, Neil, but a "perhaps" explanation. Unlike other venues, ships are not easily "escaped from". I can choose another hotel, leave school, etc. but when I'm on a ship, I really can't make a graceful exit (unless I want to pay for airfare home and abandon the rest of the cruise).

Whenever I've cruised, I really do feel "stuck" (committed to see it through) ...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is not a justification, Neil, but a "perhaps" explanation. Unlike other venues, ships are not easily "escaped from". I can choose another hotel, leave school, etc. but when I'm on a ship, I really can't make a graceful exit (unless I want to pay for airfare home and abandon the rest of the cruise).

Whenever I've cruised, I really do feel "stuck" (committed to see it through) ...
Good point, God forbid you should waste your money and go home just because everyone else is sick. I still maintain that 'eating dirt' like all good horse people do constantly makes you immune to just about anything.

Aug 29, 2015
Totally agree - it is silly the way a cruise ship has an outbreak and the media goes nuts.

People get on board after lying on the health form because they don't want to be turned away after spending money on the trip. They have already spread it on the flight to the port city and the hotel the night before. They get on board, spread it a little more and feel better the second day of the cruise. Meanwhile, they now infected their cabin attendant, waiter, people who used the menu after them, people who touched the handrail after them, people who used the serving utensils in the buffet after them.

From there, it spreads.

I love to cruise. I take precautions though. Wash hands before walking into the dining room. Order, give back menu, wash hands. In the buffet, I wash on entering, fill plate. Hubby and I take turns washing hands while holding down the table,,before eating.

So far, no Noro.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Use the freaking dispensers of the hand sanitizers too. NCL chases you with it to
“Washy washy” and people STILL don’t use it.

Honestly when I see people who refuse to use the stuff I want to slap them. That’s how noro gets spread.

Sep 19, 2015
I have never been on a cruise and had several boughts of stomach viruses.

I think cruise ships get reported because of the number of people on board and CDC reporting.
There is not the same mandatory reporting for resorts (as an example).