$350 Target GC balance stolen

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 28, 2015
New York
No, I posted it in direct reply to @AAGK

Were supposed to be finding ways to assist in consumer issues. Not deciding that the poster is in the wrong put of the gate.

No where in targets terms and conditions for the use of gift cards does it say that you are prohibited from using your gift card under someone else's account. Letter writer did nothing wrong and deserves assistance.
You misunderstood. I take everything the letter writer says he saw, read, heard, said and did as true. I can't take as true things a LW simply doesn't know. When you submit an affidavit for an insurance company, or anything, you state what you know. He knows he shared it with friend. He doesn't know what friend did with it after. I believe the LW Re: his own observations.

Oct 17, 2016
Wow, I'm surprised Boise PD works so fast. I got my police report approved today, and they responded back with: "Per the Target Asset Protection personnel I spoke with on 10/19/16 the gift card as used at the Target store located at 633 N. Milwaukee St. on 10/14/16. The transaction was completed as a scanned card at the self-checkout. AP will be providing transaction records and security photos as soon as possible to my email address at ---@cityofboise.org. This report will be routed to the Boise Police Fraud Division for review"

Hopefully this is something.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Please don't add your credit card or gift cards to anyone else's account though. What if they lose their phone or their online account gets hacked, your money is on the line. I have found my credit cards on accounts when I didn't think I had saved a payment method. It happens.

Go Boise PD!!

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
Another "awareness item"....most browsers can auto-save info commonly entered into forms (name, address, email address, account numbers, etc) as a convenience feature. Websites use standard, agreed-on "tags" to be auto-populated with the saved info. If you enter your data into a form on a different computer or a friend's computer, your info may be unknowingly saved. Most browsers have this feature turned on, and you have to disable it. All sorts of interesting things can happen with the latent "forms" data you leave behind.

A few months ago I used a computer in the hotel's business center to print my boarding pass. As soon as I hit "K" to enter my first name, the full name of a (K)yle person popped up...the hotel had the auto-fill feature turned on!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Wow, I'm surprised Boise PD works so fast. I got my police report approved today, and they responded back with: "Per the Target Asset Protection personnel I spoke with on 10/19/16 the gift card as used at the Target store located at 633 N. Milwaukee St. on 10/14/16. The transaction was completed as a scanned card at the self-checkout. AP will be providing transaction records and security photos as soon as possible to my email address at ---@cityofboise.org. This report will be routed to the Boise Police Fraud Division for review"

THREE CHEERS for the Boise Idaho Police Department! How refreshing to read that a 'government entity' is actively helping people solve problems.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Another "awareness item"....most browsers can auto-save info commonly entered into forms (name, address, email address, account numbers, etc) as a convenience feature. Websites use standard, agreed-on "tags" to be auto-populated with the saved info. If you enter your data into a form on a different computer or a friend's computer, your info may be unknowingly saved. Most browsers have this feature turned on, and you have to disable it. All sorts of interesting things can happen with the latent "forms" data you leave behind.

A few months ago I used a computer in the hotel's business center to print my boarding pass. As soon as I hit "K" to enter my first name, the full name of a (K)yle person popped up...the hotel had the auto-fill feature turned on!
This is such good advice.

Feb 9, 2016
Please don't add your credit card or gift cards to anyone else's account though. What if they lose their phone or their online account gets hacked, your money is on the line. I have found my credit cards on accounts when I didn't think I had saved a payment method. It happens.

Go Boise PD!!
LW didn't add anything to anyone's account. he used the card number and pin to purchase something under someone else's target log on.

From what I understand, the situation is EXACTLY akin to you and I being at your house and me saying "Let me buy that for you for your birthday" and you logging on to your Amazon account and me using my credit card to pay for the item. the only fallacy in the situation is if I saved my card details to your account then you would have access to my card next time you logged on. LW states that they did not save any info to their friends account.

Target gift cards suck in terms of security. TARGET needs to address this issue or STOP issuing gift cards. A third party user assigned pin would do the trick. Target assigns a CID to the card and the user assigns an additional PIN to the card that no one else knows. then no one can use the card without the pin.

Where this additional pin idea breaks down is if hackers can get data from Target directly - then they could get all info to duplicate the card. THEN target would be directly on the hook for the fraudulent charges. That's what Target doesn't want, which is why they are not solving these ongoing issues.

Feb 9, 2016

LW did you purchase this gift card using a credit card? If you did, give the credit card a call and see if they have any purchase protection to offer you.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
LW didn't add anything to anyone's account. he used the card number and pin to purchase something under someone else's target log on.

From what I understand, the situation is EXACTLY akin to you and I being at your house and me saying "Let me buy that for you for your birthday" and you logging on to your Amazon account and me using my credit card to pay for the item. the only fallacy in the situation is if I saved my card details to your account then you would have access to my card next time you logged on. LW states that they did not save any info to their friends account.

Target gift cards suck in terms of security. TARGET needs to address this issue or STOP issuing gift cards. A third party user assigned pin would do the trick. Target assigns a CID to the card and the user assigns an additional PIN to the card that no one else knows. then no one can use the card without the pin.

Where this additional pin idea breaks down is if hackers can get data from Target directly - then they could get all info to duplicate the card. THEN target would be directly on the hook for the fraudulent charges. That's what Target doesn't want, which is why they are not solving these ongoing issues.
Everyone understands exactly what happened. It's not akin to what you describe, it's the same.
It's irrelevant though bc we have no idea how the breach occurred. Target's point was he didn't safeguard the card info and that's why he's stuck with all this extra work now.