$350 Target GC balance stolen

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 17, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm glad I found this forum. I didn't know where to turn for help. Yesterday, I was about to use my Target gift card that had about $350, only to find my balance was $0. I logged into my Target.com account, where I had linked the GC, and saw that it really had no balance. So, I called the Target GC phone #, and it said I had two transactions on Oct 14th in Boise, ID for about ~$195 & ~$150! The problem is that I've never even been to Boise, and I was definitely at home on Oct 14th which is in Las Vegas, NV. The customer service rep for Target was of course no help, and only told me that they were sorry and that I had to file a police report. I feel like a police report wont do anything, and they'll probably just laugh at me. Target customer service reps wont help. I'm not sure what options I have left..

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
First, file a police report. That gives your claim credibility. The assumption is that, you would never file a police report if you were attempting fraud, because the investigation would circle back to you, and you would get into trouble. So file that police report!

We had another letter writer have issues with a target gift card and have the matter resolved in their favor (they got their money back)

Hang up the phone and start writing. You are going to start a letter writing campaign. AFTER you file that police report, you are going to start at the lowest rung and email the contact and explain your situation - make sure you include the police report information. If, within one week, you do not hear back from that contact in a satisfactory manner, you will write to the next contact. Keep going until you exhaust the contact list.

Read thru this thread for more info

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/unauthorized-transaction-on-target-gift-card-nothing-i-can-do.1679/

If you exhaust all contacts and are denied, or run into any snafus along the way, have anything to report, or just generally want moral support, come back and let us know.

Target has an issue with gift card theft so you should get your money back eventually, you just have to be persistent.

Good luck and keep us informed

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
We recently had a similar case. Was the card purchased from Target or a 3rd party? Target will not help you unless you purchased the card directly from them. If it was purchased from a 3rd party, you will need to contact that company for assistance.

Unfortunately, some of these places that sell these gift cards at a discount are actually buying them from someone else, then reselling them. A popular scam is for the original owner to keep the number and pin, wait until it is sold then use it themselves before the new owner does.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Send Target execs a packet including a copy of your police report, a notarized affidavit (type it out yourself state you purchased the gift card on x date, tried to use it x date, you live in Las Vegas and learned it was used in Boise, you have never been to Boise, etc), have that statement notarized at your bank, include a copy of your receipt, the front and back of the gift card, a copy of your driver's license/utility bill for proof of address and a local receipt proving you were in Vegas, not Boise, when the card was used will also help).

Oct 17, 2016
Thank you all for your responses and help. Just to update; so far I've filed the police report, and I tried to contact Janna Potts, the Executive Vice President and Chief Stores Officer. I received a reply from someone named "Travis" who asked me additional questions via email.

After I answered all his questions via email, he called me today. He seemed really nice, but basically told me that he looked into the gift card and that he found that I hadn't done anything suspicious with the card and that someone did use it physically at a store in Boise, ID.

Then he started to subtly state that it must have been my fault because I had used the card once on someone else's Target account to pay for their stuff. Therefore, it must've been my fault since multiple people had access to the gift card, and maybe someone sold it.

I told him that was impossible. I always had the card on me, and yes I did pay for someone else's stuff, but I never gave them the gift card information. I was with them when they placed the order and entered the gc information during their order (which is true), but basically because of that instance it was pretty much my fault the gc information must've been "hacked" or "sold". So pretty much nothing they can do.

That made me angry, I thought I was allowed to do as I please with my gift card. Didn't think that paying for a close friend's purchase would cost me an additional $350....ugh.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
He is saying that you created a scenario where one of your friends was able to utilize the number to electronically resell the value of the card. As if, when you purchased stuff for your friend electronically, the gift card number and pin was able to be recalled and yur friend took that information and sold it.

Name your friend as a suspect and have the police interview them

Were the Boyse purchases done electronically or in store? If th purchases were made electronically utilizing the gift card ask "Travis" what the IP was for the computer. Ask "Travis" where the items were shipped to.

I assume someone would need a pin to use the card? Did that someone use the same pin you assigned or a different one? If a different one, when was that pin changed?

Targets security sucks but I dont shop there so I dont know the process. I'll need to keep asking questions to figure out how you can back them into a corner.

im still thinking, stay tuned....

Oct 17, 2016
He is saying that you created a scenario where one of your friends was able to utilize the number to electronically resell the value of the card. As if, when you purchased stuff for your friend electronically, the gift card number and pin was able to be recalled and yur friend took that information and sold it.

Name your friend as a suspect and have the police interview them

Were the Boyse purchases done electronically or in store? If th purchases were made electronically utilizing the gift card ask "Travis" what the IP was for the computer. Ask "Travis" where the items were shipped to.

I assume someone would need a pin to use the card? Did that someone use the same pin you assigned or a different one? If a different one, when was that pin changed?

Targets security sucks but I dont shop there so I dont know the process. I'll need to keep asking questions to figure out how you can back them into a corner.

im still thinking, stay tuned....
My friend lives in the same town as me, which is in Nevada. They were definitely not in Boise, ID this weekend. Travis told me the card was used in person, not via online. He stated that it was physically scanned in-store.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Thank you all for your responses and help. Just to update; so far I've filed the police report, and I tried to contact Janna Potts, the Executive Vice President and Chief Stores Officer. I received a reply for someone named "Travis" who asked me additional questions via email.

After I answered all his questions via email, he called me today. He seemed really nice, but basically told me that he looked into the gift card and that he found that I hadn't done anything suspicious with the card and that someone did use it physically at a store in Boise, ID.

Then he started to subtly state that it must have been my fault because I had used the card once on someone else's Target account to pay for their stuff. Therefore, it must've been my fault since multiple people had access to the gift card, and maybe someone sold it.

I told him that was impossible. I always had the card on me, and yes I did pay for someone else's stuff, but I never gave them the gift card information. I was with them when they placed the order and entered the gc information during their order (which is true), but basically because of that instance it was pretty much my fault the gc information must've gotten "hacked" or "sold". So pretty much nothing they can do.

That made me angry, I thought I was allowed to do as I please with my gift card. Didn't think that paying for a close friend's purchase would cost me $350....ugh.
If that's the issue then your friend owe's you the money. Mystery solved. You can do whatever you want with the card. It's just unclear what you did. Did you place the order on your target account using the gift card and just make your friend the shipping address? Or did you use their account? Or let them use it as if it was theirs? Huge difference. Which one was it? Which one was it?

Oct 17, 2016
So Target is suggesting you're complicit in wire fraud?
I guess so?
If that's the issue then your friend owe's you the money. Mystery solved. You can do whatever you want with the card. It's just unclear what you did. Did you place the order on your target account using the gift card and just make your friend the shipping address? Or did you use their account? Or let them use it as if it was theirs? Huge difference. Which one was it? Which one was it?
Used it on their account.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2015
New York
whats target's theory about the duplication of the physical card. If you have it on you today and Target has the one used in Boise, bc it was used, then one has to be fake or they think you were in Boise or you loaned it to your friend who took it to Boise and then returned it to you.

Oct 17, 2016
whats target's theory about the duplication of the physical card. If you have it on you today and Target has the one used in Boise, bc it was used, then one has to be fake or they think you were in Boise or you loaned it to your friend who took it to Boise and then returned it to you.
Sorry, but they didn't give me a "theory". They just stated that since the card has been "passed around", it must've been sold or compromised.

Feb 9, 2016
Target thinks that someone sold the information from the card (number of the card, pin,cvv), that the card was physically duplicated (plastic and all) and then used in Boise, ID

Do physical target gift cards require owners to assign them a pin? Do physical target gift cards have a cvv?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I've used credit cards to purchase online gifts for people a million times and I would never use their account for the purchase. I use my own, assuming it's a store I shop in, or create one to check out. You added your card to someone else's account. I can't think of a reason to do that if you didn't intend for them to spend it.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Target thinks that someone sold the information from the card (number of the card, pin,cvv), that the card was physically duplicated (plastic and all) and then used in Boise, ID

Do physical target gift cards require owners to assign them a pin? Do physical target gift cards have a cvv?
Target thinks the friend or this guy used it in Boise or someone associated with them. His recourse is against the friend. He added the card to the friend's account.