$30,000 for cruise we couldn’t take and we are not allowed to speak to executives.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I believe what @Neil is referring o is, the travel agent has (apparently) already apologized for mis leading you about travel insurance, correct? Therefore he or she should be your first email stop. Compose a letter acknowledging the unfortunate situation, acknowledging the misguided information regarding travel insurance that was given, and then formally ask the travel agent to 'advocate' on your behalf with the cruise line to get cruise vouchers. It's always better if you had the cruise picked out, including sail date. The cruise line is more likely to just go ahead and rebook you.
I agree, Bev, start with the TA. Just to clarify what SAS posted, having a future cruise all picked out that the line can book you on seems to make requests like yours a little more palatable for the cruise line. Don't bring up your brother until you get some kind of commitment from Princess ... they will not want to give him a voucher, you were the injured party. (No reason for that, just the way they are.) Once it looks like you're getting somewhere with Princess, you can discuss transferability. Good luck!

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Ok. I have decided to try to get a voucher for another cruise in hopes I can get my brother to take it. That way at least he would have his first cruise.
Any ideas where I should start my efforts?

Bev ...

Please be extremely careful in reading any fine print on any vouchers you may receive. Oftentimes there is language like "non-refundable, no cash value and non-transferable". That means that if the voucher is issued in X's name, X must be the one who uses it to cruise.

There can also be deadlines to use the voucher, which are generally non-negotiable.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Bev has already stated that her sister won't even talk to the travel agent, much less hire a lawyer. Bev is doing her best to help but without putting her sister somewhere that she does not want to go.

This is a long thread, so please forgive me ... have we mentioned that Barb should check the credit card she used to book the cruise for any built-in travel perks? Many people are unaware of these benefits, which have been multiplying over the last few years.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Bev has already stated that her sister won't even talk to the travel agent, much less hire a lawyer. Bev is doing her best to help but without putting her sister somewhere that she does not want to go.

This is a long thread, so please forgive me ... have we mentioned that Barb should check the credit card she used to book the cruise for any built-in travel perks? Many people are unaware of these benefits, which have been multiplying over the last few years.
If Barb refuses to do anything further there is little we can do here. She is the one that paid for the cruise, but Bev and her husband own their cabin, not Barb. Bev can go after the travel agent herself fir her cabin.

Oct 25, 2017
i Really appreciate all the help you are giving me. My sister got us into a bit of a mess which is why I have decided to go after this on my own. See if I can get anywhere.
Question, do I start out telling them that I am Barb’s sister? Total transparency?

Feb 9, 2015
I think what I need to do is to see if I can at least get my money back on my room That way I could at least help my sister by giving her that money back. A little is better than nothing.
Don't want to muddy it up here....but I am confused as to why the OP feels the sister needs to be "paid back" for the cancelled cruise. It was stated earlier that she bought the cruise as a gift to the others....so even if they had taken the cruise, the cost to the sister would have been the same as what was cancelled. So...the amount paid is the same no matter what. They just didn't use what was paid for.

Unfortunate situation all around....and I can see that emotions were probably running high during the situation. Wondering where was the TA when this was cancelled?