$30,000 for cruise we couldn’t take and we are not allowed to speak to executives.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 25, 2017
My sister bought myself, my husband, my son, my brother and his wife and hers and her partners totalling $28,000. The cruise was for a celebration. 4 days before the cruise I fell and broke my femur. I required surgery and I was in the hospital when the cruise left. Because it was meant to be a celebratory cruise no one went.
All of us are retired and don’t have enough money to pay her back. My sister is devistated they can’t afford to lose $28,000 either.
We have spoken to people at the Princess cruise website and are blocked from getting in touch with any of the executives.
What we would like is a chance just to put our tickets toward another cruise with the itinerary.
We understand if there was a penalty to pay for this service. We just want to go on the same cruise. My sister is a gold star member of Princess Cruise Line.
What we are asking for is a little compassion that a person who is retired and on a fixed income saved for this gift to us all and is now devastated that she is out so much money with nothing to show for it.

Jul 13, 2016
Because you were within 7 days of departure, the penalty is indeed 100%. I realize that your not going would be a damper on the family party, but Princess is not likely to waive their penalties for such a large group. Princess might be understanding of your inability to travel and the inclination of your husband and son to stay home with you, but might feel that the rest of the family could have still gone.
Did you all cancel by speaking to Princess, or did you just not show up for the cruise?

Oct 25, 2017
First, I'm very sorry that you fell and required surgery. What a disappointment for everyone it must have been.

You will likely hear this again, but when planning a trip that involves a substantial nonrefundable amount of money that you cannot afford to loose, always book travel insurance. Consider it part of the expense of travel. Not only does travel insurance protect you from loss if you cannot go on a trip, but it also provides reimbursement for medical expenses while on your trip. What would have happened if you had fallen while on the cruise and required surgery?

Unfortunately, its too late to get a policy now, but its good to remember for any future travel.

Further when booking travel its important to fully understand the cancellation policies.
Since you are such a large group, from Princess' perspective, there really wasn't a good reason everyone except for you and your husband could not have continued on with the cruise as planned. I know it was a celebratory cruise and therefore the others didn't want to go without you, but before making the decision not to go, they all should have looked at and considered the cancellation policy.

I know that this all sounds rather callous. I'm not trying to be insensitive to the loss, but realistically, I think you will have an unhill battle since the cancellation policy is very clear.

Your sister being a "gold star" member means that she has cruised with Princess once or maybe twice before. First cruise is blue with the second and third cruise putting the person at the gold level.

Its a long shot, but have your sister look to see if the credit card she paid for the cruise with offers any benefits. Some credit cards will offer up to $10,000 travel insurance reimbursement for specific situations. I don't know if this will qualify, but its worth looking into.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My sister bought myself, my husband, my son, my brother and his wife and hers and her partners totalling $28,000. The cruise was for a celebration. 4 days before the cruise I fell and broke my femur. I required surgery and I was in the hospital when the cruise left. Because it was meant to be a celebratory cruise no one went.
All of us are retired and don’t have enough money to pay her back. My sister is devistated they can’t afford to lose $28,000 either.
We have spoken to people at the Princess cruise website and are blocked from getting in touch with any of the executives.
What we would like is a chance just to put our tickets toward another cruise with the itinerary.
We understand if there was a penalty to pay for this service. We just want to go on the same cruise. My sister is a gold star member of Princess Cruise Line.
What we are asking for is a little compassion that a person who is retired and on a fixed income saved for this gift to us all and is now devastated that she is out so much money with nothing to show for it.
What a terrible disappointment, I am so sorry. However, I'm a little confused about reimbursing your sister for the tix. You're retired, but you would have paid her for your tix if you went on the cruise, wouldn't you? So how does that affect reimbursing her now?

Princess is not allowing contact with the executives because their procedures are clearly outlined. If you all chose to not take the trip, the blame can hardly be put on the cruise line. Your sister must be somewhat familiar with the rules if she is an experienced cruiser. Normally, anyone booking prepaid travel purchases insurance against an awful thing like breaking a limb. I presume she did not. Since you were injured so close to the sailing date, your cabins no doubt sailed empty. This is indeed an awful mess.

Your sister should stay off the phone and write a concise, polite letter to Customer Service explaining why they should allow you to put some of the money towards a future cruise. It will be difficult to explain why nobody took the trip at all, but she should try. She should wait two weeks, and if no answer from CS, or a negative response, use our Company Contacts to write to each executive, waiting a week between each submission. Being polite, patient and persistent often results in something positive ... good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Oct 25, 2017
What a terrible disappointment, I am so sorry. However, I'm a little confused about reimbursing your sister for the tix. You're retired, but you would have paid her for your tix if you went on the cruise, wouldn't you? So how does that affect reimbursing her now?

Princess is not allowing contact with the executives because their procedures are clearly outlined. If you all chose to not take the trip, the blame can hardly be put on the cruise line. Your sister must be somewhat familiar with the rules if she is an experienced cruiser. Normally, anyone booking prepaid travel purchases insurance against an awful thing like breaking a limb. I presume she did not. Since you were injured so close to the sailing date, your cabins no doubt sailed empty. This is indeed an awful mess.

Your sister should stay off the phone and write a concise, polite letter to Customer Service explaining why they should allow you to put some of the money towards a future cruise. It will be difficult to explain why nobody took the trip at all, but she should try. She should wait two weeks, and if no answer from CS, or a negative response, use our Company Contacts to write to each executive, waiting a week between each submission. Being polite, patient and persistent often results in something positive ... good luck and please let us know the outcome.
My sister paid for all the tickets as a gift to my family and my brother and his wife. She did not purchase insurance cause she was told that the insurance voids within 2 weeks of the cruise which is ridiculous. If you need the insurance it will likely be in that 2 week window. I fell and broke my femur 4 days before the cruise, talk about guilt.
Because you were within 7 days of departure, the penalty is indeed 100%. I realize that your not going would be a damper on the family party, but Princess is not likely to waive their penalties for such a large group. Princess might be understanding of your inability to travel and the inclination of your husband and son to stay home with you, but might feel that the rest of the family could have still gone.
Did you all cancel by speaking to Princess, or did you just not show up for the cruise?
my sister and brother spoke to each other as soon as I was told there was a fracture and the Dr informed us that the cruise line would not likely let us on anyway. I believe my sister called Princess tat day.

Oct 25, 2017
Oops. This is my first time here and I didn’t realize there was a reply window. My sister bought my brother and I the tickets as a gift.
She did not purchase insurance as she was told it is void within 2 weeks of the cruise. She thought if you were going to cancel the cruise for something like this that it would be within 2 weeks of the cruise.
My sister is my twin and she honestly felt that she couldn’t leave me in hospital room and cruise off. She also felt that I would need the help when I got home, which I was greatful for.

Sep 19, 2015
I think cruises have strict late cancellations policies because it is probably nearly impossible to resell the cabin at such a late date; very few people go on a last minute cruise with less than 7 days notice.

May I ask why with such a cruise, and with so many people, and total high cost, why no insurance was purchased? May I ask how the cruise was paid for? Was a credit card used? If so does the credit card have any travel insurance benefits?

The issue of not having money to pay her back is not something to bring up to the cruise line. It is confusing and off topic. An incredibly polite letter may get some consideration.

R

Realitoes

She did not purchase insurance cause she was told that the insurance voids within 2 weeks of the cruise which is ridiculous. If you need the insurance it will likely be in that 2 week window. I fell and broke my femur 4 days before the cruise, talk about guilt.
You sister was misinformed. I don't know of any policy that would have this type of stipulations. In fact, a large majority of the policy probably would have covered you and your immediate family (spouse, small children), depending on any associated pre-existing conditions and waivers.

As others have suggested, write the company to request consideration of some type of credit towards a future cruise. There is a good chance with medical documentation, they may provide some type of credit for you and the immediate family, though the chances are very poor for the rest of your group who could have traveled without you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Absolutely untrue about insurance. Did your sister book with a travel agent or on her own?

This is exactly what insurance covers depending on the policy.
My sister paid for all the tickets as a gift to my family and my brother and his wife. She did not purchase insurance cause she was told that the insurance voids within 2 weeks of the cruise which is ridiculous. If you need the insurance it will likely be in that 2 week window. I fell and broke my femur 4 days before the cruise, talk about guilt.

my sister and brother spoke to each other as soon as I was told there was a fracture and the Dr informed us that the cruise line would not likely let us on anyway. I believe my sister called Princess tat day.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Not to pile on responses about the importance of trip insurance, I would like to add something: trip insurance covers the passengers during the trip as well, not just before the trip. If anyone became ill or injured, it helps recoup any costs associated. Just a thought for future excursions.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If the sister booked this with a travel agent and the travel agent told her this misinformation that travel agent has a potential $30,000 lawsuit on their hands because of misinformation about travel insurance if that is indeed what happened.

A travel agent is also by law not permitted to state to the client what is and is not covered- they need to refer the client to the travel insurance company to ask those questions.

Thats why I ask I asked how this was booked. Bev might have recourse if all this is true if a travel agent was used.

But of c ourse she didn't do the actual booking so this is third party information in what actually happened. The one we need to hear from is her sister. I can only speak based on what is posted here.

Oct 25, 2017
We all had medical insurance to cover us while we were away. Even Princess Cruises travel insurance states that if you cancel within 7 days of the cruise you will be charged for 100% of the cruise.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I
We all had medical insurance to cover us while we were away. Even Princess Cruises travel insurance states that if you cancel within 7 days of the cruise you will be charged for 100% of the cruise.
I am sorry you or your sister were misinformed. The staff members here who cruise alot discourage purchasing trip insurance directly from the cruise line since its written in a way to favor them. I personally recommend comparing available policies from insuremytrip.com then calling your preferred company to understand what the policy will or will not cover.

I travelled to Europe this summer and was covered for the cost of all pre-paid expenses in addition to medical expenses. I, unfortunately, experienced a very costly emergency medical procedure but was covered for the expense through our policy. Well worth the premium price.

R

Realitoes

Bev,

Many standard US medical insurance policies provide little to no coverage for medical care received on a ship or in a foreign country. You need to verify any coverage with your insurance company. For example, this person wasn't covered by his Blue Cross policy for his heart attack in Canada.

http://www.elliott.org/should-i-take-the-case/51618/

As for Princess Cruise travel insurance it should have covered you under their Cancellation Fee Waiver Program.

Princess Cancellation Fee Waiver Program – waives the
non-refundable cancellation provision of your Passage
Contract and pays you the value of the unused portion of
your prepaid cruise vacation in the event that you or your
traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation (for
specified reasons).​

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Did your medical insurance cover you only for the period of the cruise itself? Or, by some chance, did it take effect earlier than departure date?

And, yes, there's 100% penalty within 7 days of the cruise ... the policy is that less than 30-day cruises have 100% cancellation penalty starting at 14 days pre-cruise. It's a progressive penalty starting at 74 days pre-cruise. Those penalties are what the insurance covers.

Also meant to mention: others have stated, correctly in my opinion, that you can contact Princess Cruises management/executives using our Company Contacts. Here's the link for that: http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/princess/

Sep 19, 2015

Bev I am sorry but there is a complete misunderstanding of the policies. Yes the traveler is loses the payment if cancellation happens less than one week before but but the cancellation protection provides for

"(For Specified Reasons) Cash Refund Up to Total Cruise Vacation Cost"

It even covers cancellation if someone is injured in a traffic accident on the way to the cruise.

"involvement in a traffic accident en route to departure that causes you to miss your cruise"

I am not saying that the cruise line policy is better than an independent policy,., my point is that the benefits are completely misunderstood and it will not help your case to misquote the protection that Princess offered which would have covered an accidental fall 4 days prior to departure.

Feb 9, 2016
I'm still baffled why EVERYONE stayed home?? Holy cow... it's legit the difference between losing $28k versus losing $4k

I would have called an uber and locked them OUT of the house with their toothbrushes, if it had come down to that.

How do you justify expecting a total refund when 6 of the 7 people were healthy enough to travel?! I can appreciate the allegiance (no, actually, I don't get that either) but thinking that everyone was going to miss $28k worth of a cruise, when only 1 person out of 7 could not travel, and to then think 7 people were justified in missing a cruise for that reason, and that they could somehow get refunded to cost of the cruise (voucher, cash, whatever) You've got to realize that the cruise line is shaking their heads over your decision.

Not to be snarly, but the cruise line owes you nothing and is probably irritated that you are setting up expectations with them.

I cant think of one way to logically or sanely justify the decision you made - and I am ALWAYS full of creative logic!

Wait!!!! Are you all conjoined? That would make sense!

Just kidding.

I'm at a creative loss here. The only thing you can do is BEG. Admit that you made an extremely poor decision. Tell them you were high on pain medication when you made these ridiculous demands that your family stay home to care for you (?) Explain that you misunderstood the limits of a travel insurance policy which is why you didn't purcahse one. With the begging letter, send over proof that you were disabled then beg, beg, beg for a voucher for a specific cruise, that you specifically identify in your letter.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
maybe your credit card has some sort of insurance that can help with the injured person costs. maybe you can argue that your husband needed to stay home because you couldn't walk unassisted? I cant think of any other creative reasons for them to refund anyone else.....except being conjoined...

omg, this is insane.....

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Bev that is their cancellation policy. Of course you will be charged 100% but you put in a claim for the cancellation fee. Did you buy their travel insurance? What do you mean by saying you had medical insurance?

Maybe you do have insurance that would cover this. It might not cover your sister because she still could have gone, but it might cover you.

I assume that your sister booked on her own? Because you are completely misunderstanding the coverage. You will always be charged for the cancellation but when you have medical insurance, your doctor completed paperwork about your medical condition and you put in a claim with the insurance company.

What exactly do you mean by you have medical insurance?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Bev, there's lots going on here. None of us mean to berate you about the entire party cancelling because you were so injured. That's the decision that y'all made and that's what we have to work with. As far as travel insurance, she didn't buy it and that's that. If she had, only you and your spouse would have been covered after you were injured, so we can just move on from the topic of travel insurance.

We really do want to come up with SOMETHING that will help. I do understand that the two of you have a special bond, being twins, so I can see that she preferred to stay with you, knowing that she wouldn't enjoy the cruise much without you anyway. But we need to turn this whole story into a 'businesslike' situation and try to come up with concepts that might make Princess amendable to helping your family. I love the idea of being so distraught and medicated that you didn't make a great decision ... those are the kinds of concepts that we need to use.

What needs to happen now, I think, is that your sister makes a list of all the facts, in chronological order. We are fumbling a bit in the dark about some of the details ... and travel advocacy is all about the details. Once we know exactly what happened, we might be able to be more helpful. This is a very tough case, but we don't give up until every avenue has been explored.