2020 Mercedes Benz 3500 Sprinter Computer Breakdown/In shop 20 days for 3 day repair

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 25, 2021
Michigan
This post is concerning the breakdown of our new Mercedes Sprinter 3500 /Winnebago Motor home that occurred on day 7 of a planned 90 day trip in the United States. This is the second Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis motor home we have owned so we are familiar with the product.
Our Case ID: 2-12401159416.
Here are the facts:
  • The breakdown occurred on 2-19-2021, when we were 1750 miles from home.
  • This vehicle was purchased so that we could travel and isolate safely during COVID.
  • The Customer Service Reps we worked with were Julie initially, followed by Stephania from Urgently (regarding the tow) and Celia.
  • Celia told me there were guidelines for reimbursement in cases like this, but she “could not find them”. She told me to “save my receipts”.
  • When I called MB El Paso to inform them that our vehicle was being towed to them, they informed me that they could not look at the vehicle until 3-8-21.
  • Our MB El PasoTeam was Service Consultant, Roger Gaona as well as Jose Meza, Shop Manager both knew that we were without a home, kitchen and transportation.
  • There were no offers or attempts to get the job started sooner than 3-8-21.
  • I talked with MB Customer Service and asked for help getting the vehicle serviced quicker. Their response was “we don’t get involved with the dealerships”.
  • No other suggestions or offers were made to me regarding another dealer for quicker service.
  • I did let the dealer and MB USA know that this was unacceptable to us as we had no home, transportation, or way to prepare food without our motor home.
    • I asked on 3 separate occasions for a loaner vehicle from MB El Paso. I saw loaner vehicles on the lot but they would not give one to us, so we had to rent a car.
    • We spent 20 nights living in hotels, eating out, and driving a rental car because no one from MB USA would help us find a solution to get the repair done faster.
    • We incurred costs of approximately $4000 during this time. I have receipts for all of the expenditures.
    • I have spent countless hours on the phone, and our stress, worry, and safety during COVID have a price as well.
  • I had contact with “Portia” at MB USA ext 4613 in customer advocacy and she refused any reimbursement for our severe travel delay
  • We are now in the vehicle and it is running well. We picked it up 3-11-2021.
    Due to the nature of the mechanical failure through no fault of our own, we expect that this serious disruption and huge disappointment in the:
    • 1) Quality of the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis
    • 2) Service from MB USA Customer Service
    • 3) El Paso Mercedes Benz Service and dealership
  • will be remediated through a full reimbursement. This reimbursement would cover expenses we incurred for a rental car, 20 nights of hotel stays, and meals during this upsetting and stressful time while waiting for the vehicle to be properly and completely repaired by certified Mercedes Benz Technicians.
If anyone has any experience in getting remediation through MB USA after the channels I have pursued, I would be grateful for that information. Thank You.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Before you escalate this further, I would like to offer a recommendation for your email. What you have typed here is well-formatted and easily read, but contains some aggressive language and could be shorter.

EXAMPLE
"I am writing to you today because my efforts to resolve an issue with customer service have been unsuccessful. Here are the details:
  • Our Mercedes Sprinter 3500 /Winnebago Motor home experienced a breakdown on 2-19-2021 when we were 1750 miles from home on a 90-day trip
  • After calling Customer Service, I called MB El Paso to inform them that our vehicle was being towed to them, and they informed me that they could not look at the vehicle until 3-8-21.
  • We were advised by Customer Service to keep our receipts
  • On three (3) separate occasions I requested a loaner vehicle from MB El Paso, which they had but would not provide
  • Consequently, we spent 20 nights living in hotels, eating out, and driving a rental car (approximately $4000, for which I have receipts)
  • We are now in the vehicle and it is running well, but our request for reimbursement has been denied
I would very much appreciate a full reimbursement of our additional expenses, since the delay in repairs with no loaner being offered gave us no alternative.

Thank you for your time and consideration - I respect that you are very busy"

Be careful to avoid expressions of anger, criticism, and disappointment. They should be able to understand your experience and your request in 3-5 minutes.

You can escalate this VIA EMAIL using the information provided in the following links
Resolving Complaints
composing and sending effective emails
Company Contacts
restrict your content to 500 words or less

The above example reduces your content from 500 words to 200.

Sep 12, 2018
While Mercedes offers trip interruption coverage of $300/night, there’s a footnote on the website indicating that it applies to passenger cars only. Mercedes may not consider the Sprinter to be a passenger car, and so you might be asking them to make an exception to their policy. Have they cited this as a reason for their denial?

In my view, presuming that you *are* asking for an exception, it’s important to employ what others on this site have called “artful begging,” which involves acknowledging the exception and courteously requesting it, rather than making any demands.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Since the dealer was clear about the date they could look at your Sprinter, I'm not sure why you didn't just use it as a home until that date, renting a car to get around. While I hope you are successful in obtaining some assistance, MB is responsible for repairing your vehicle ... not your living expenses for 3 weeks waiting for service to be available. I'm glad all is well now and you are able to continue your travels.

Mar 25, 2021
Michigan
Since the dealer was clear about the date they could look at your Sprinter, I'm not sure why you didn't just use it as a home until that date, renting a car to get around. While I hope you are successful in obtaining some assistance, MB is responsible for repairing your vehicle ... not your living expenses for 3 weeks waiting for service to be available. I'm glad all is well now and you are able to continue your travels.
Thank you for your reply. We asked about staying in the vehicle and were told that it had to be stored in their locked lot. They said that due to liability, they could not allow us to stay in it. Also, they were unable to provide and power source or water. We could do without power as long as it was sunny, but not water.

Mar 25, 2021
Michigan
While Mercedes offers trip interruption coverage of $300/night, there’s a footnote on the website indicating that it applies to passenger cars only. Mercedes may not consider the Sprinter to be a passenger car, and so you might be asking them to make an exception to their policy. Have they cited this as a reason for their denial?

In my view, presuming that you *are* asking for an exception, it’s important to employ what others on this site have called “artful begging,” which involves acknowledging the exception and courteously requesting it, rather than making any demands.
Thank you for this information. I verified it on their website and I am going to do exactly what you have recommended. I'll update my results as they happen. It's interesting that they footnote the "passenger vehicles".

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you for your reply. We asked about staying in the vehicle and were told that it had to be stored in their locked lot. They said that due to liability, they could not allow us to stay in it. Also, they were unable to provide and power source or water. We could do without power as long as it was sunny, but not water.
My thought was that it could have been towed to an RV campsite or park until the dealer was ready.

Mar 25, 2021
Michigan
Sadly, no other options were offered. But I do appreciate your idea. When you are in the middle of these breakdowns, creative thinking is not front of mind. Thanks for taking the time to offer an idea I'll save for the next time if it ever happens again (I hope not).