2018 Toyota Camry Problem with "Entune"

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 6, 2018
I bought my Camry in Nov., 2017, and part of the Entune app doesn't work...( GPS and Pandora) Toyota says Entune doesn't communicate with my iPhone 6S that is using an updated operating system. I've contacted Toyota every week since mid-December, and the issue still isn't resolved. They keep saying they're "waiting for Apple to fix it." I have purchased a car with features that don't work, and Toyota is continuing to sell cars with features that don't work. What to do??

Jul 13, 2016
That is a problem with all this technology in cars, tvs and the like. My husband's jag came with a GPS system that was never updated by the developer, so after 5 years, it was a useless screen on his dash. Friends of mine have a Samsung SMART tv, and cannot play Pandora on it, because Pandora's latest update is not compatible with their 4 year old TV and Samsung couldn't care less.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My phone is an iPhone 6s, running on 11.2.6 operating system. The most recent operating system that is compatible with Entune, on the iPhone 6s is 9.2.
It sounds like Entune is the problem. Does Toyota own Entune? Did you check to make sure your phone was comparable before you added Entune?

I found something on a Toyota truck site about updating the Entune app. Have you tried updating it?’(I admitted know nohing about this)’

http://www.tacomaforum.com/threads/entune-bluetooth-ios-11-issues.5666/

Mar 6, 2018
It sounds like Entune is the problem. Does Toyota own Entune? Did you check to make sure your phone was comparable before you added Entune?

I found something on a Toyota truck site about updating the Entune app. Have you tried updating it?’(I admitted know nohing about this)’

http://www.tacomaforum.com/threads/entune-bluetooth-ios-11-issues.5666/
Yes, I think Toyota owns Entune. I have updated Entune. It is an issue with the latest operating system on the iphone not being compatible with Entune. It seems unethical for Toyota to sell cars with features that don't work.

Mar 6, 2018
That is a problem with all this technology in cars, tvs and the like. My husband's jag came with a GPS system that was never updated by the developer, so after 5 years, it was a useless screen on his dash. Friends of mine have a Samsung SMART tv, and cannot play Pandora on it, because Pandora's latest update is not compatible with their 4 year old TV and Samsung couldn't care less.
It seems unethical for these companies to sell products that don't work. Those of us who have ended up with these useless features should get a refund for the features we bought that don't work.

Mar 6, 2018
I have had the same phone since I bought the car, and they never said anything about Entune not working with any phone.
A few weeks ago, I called 7 different Toyota dealerships and said I was interested in a 2018 Camry, but had heard there were some problems with the Entune app, and I got 7 different answers...ranging from "no, we don't have that problem", to only one dealer who said there is an issue with Entune working with iPhones using the newest operating system.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you used our company contacts to write to the Executives at Toyota? I think you should make them aware of this problem. It really makes no sense that this doesn’t work with the latest updates on cell phones.

If that doesn’t get a response, perhaps filing a complaint with the Attorney General in your state might get someone to look at this.

Sep 19, 2015
My phone is an iPhone 6s, running on 11.2.6 operating system. The most recent operating system that is compatible with Entune, on the iPhone 6s is 9.2.
AS of the January 2018 update, the entune system works iPhone 6S with the following operating system :iOS 10.0.1 (14A403) on ATT wireless -- with Sprint it is IOS 9.02 -- and Verizon is different

https://www.toyota.com/content/entune/responsive/pdf/EntunePhoneCompatibilityList.pdf -- There have been these updates with phone compatibility and it is not uniform

The problem is the famous too many cooks in the kitchen -- it is the wireless companies carrier settings, the phone operating system, and then the app itself (which gets lousy ratings).

As Globetrotting says, there are so many variables that it is a recipe for a mess. A company can decide not to support the operating system of a certain company as it may not be profitable.

I dislike all the reliance on the mobile and tablets, whether it be in a car or an airplane (personal device entertainment); while it sounds great in theory, in practicality it is a mess.

Did you have to pay extra for the system?

Mar 6, 2018
Have you used our company contacts to write to the Executives at Toyota? I think you should make them aware of this problem. It really makes no sense that this doesn’t work with the latest updates on cell phones.

If that doesn’t get a response, perhaps filing a complaint with the Attorney General in your state might get someone to look at this.
Yes, I got the names and haven't written to them yet. Attorney General sounds good too. I would love for someone,, like the Attorney General, to be made aware of this because it just isn't right that Toyota can sell a car with features that don't work. It is not the same as the VW emissions scandal, but the same idea...a big corporation cheating the consumer.

Sep 19, 2015
Yes, I got the names and haven't written to them yet. Attorney General sounds good too. I would love for someone,, like the Attorney General, to be made aware of this because it just isn't right that Toyota can sell a car with features that don't work. It is not the same as the VW emissions scandal, but the same idea...a big corporation cheating the consumer.
Emissions are an environmental issue and really not comparable; that was a deliberate manipulation -- intentional deception vs incompetence,

The entune systems works with some phones and operating systems, just not all; as far as I understand the system does not cost anything.

But I find it problematic that there are so issues with operating systems and compatibility and the waste that comes from buying a new tv, cell phone, and the waste that comes from it.

Mar 6, 2018
Yes, you do pay for Entune, as it is what makes GPS, etc. work. If you buy a car without GPS, bluetooth, etc., you don't get Entune, and you don't pay extra for.
What isn't right, is that Toyota knows there are problems, and they continue to sell cars with Entune, and buyers don't know it may not work with their cell phones.
Toyota paid over $7,000,000 for one Super Bowl ad, plus they have ads online and on TV, so they obviously have a huge advertising budget. If they can pay for ads, it seems that they should be able to pay Apple whatever it takes to get the problem fixed.
They should also tell all purchasers about the problem and should do something to compensate the people who already bought a car and can't use all of the features because Entune doesn't work with their phone.
It is not ok to sell a product, knowing it won't work for many of the people who buy it. I don't know the name for this, but it is very deceiving. (consumer fraud?)