2008 EOS Rust problem

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 1, 2018
My wife's car developed a large section of bubbles in the paint on the driver's side fender. She asked me to look at it a few weeks ago. I pushed on the bubble and my finger went completely through and a bunch of small pieces fell off. I pushed the rest of the loose parts off and then sprayed it with rust converter. After I realized this was not a repair I could handle, I took it to Hunt's Auto Body, the shop her VW dealer uses. She has been a loyal VW owner for many years and gets all her work done by the dealer. Hunt's looked at it and told me this is a common issue with this car because they put a piece of foam inside the fender and when it gets wet it rusts the fender out from the inside. The fender couldn't be repaired and needed to be replaced. He recommended that we take it to the dealer and said it should be covered under the corrosion warranty. I went home and checked the warranty and it had a 12 year corrosion warranty. She took it to the dealer and they told her it should be covered but VW had to approve it. They took photos and sent them to VW. A couple days later the dealer Service Manager called her and said VW had denied the claim because the rust converter was an alteration that voided the warranty. This made no difference to the damage or the repair needed. I contacted VW customer service and they told me a Regional Customer Service Rep would review the case and call back in a couple days. After a few days I called again and they transferred me to the Rep and she again told me she checked with the Regional Service Manager and he upheld the decision that it voided the warranty and they would do nothing to help, even though she told me she understood that I was just trying to prevent further rusting. This is a $1600 repair. Anyone else have a similar issue? How was it resolved?
Thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra -same thing. On the passenger door the paint started bubbling and you could see rust under it. Then the clear coat started peeling on both bumpers. Our body shop owner felt the cabin had been damaged enroute and repainted before it was sold. He says this is not as infrequent as people think.

I took it to the Hyundai dealer and was told it’s out of warranty, too bad it would cost about
$2,000 to fix.

My solution? I sold the car. I didn’t like it from the day I got it. I found a two year old Kia SUV with 5,000 miles for it. The dealer gave me a good trade in amount for the car and I now have the car I should have bought after Hurricane Sandy.