12/17 Atlanta airport debacle - refund/compensation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
the key here is whether how GPL had the thing set up - with primary and back up feed converging in the same place, along with the back up generator - all subject to the same calamity, is best practice or if it was negligent.

If A then they're off the hook - if B, then they're screwed and they better have good insurance.

May 31, 2017
Not sure if this would be helpful or not but I have had a couple of issues with Delta (not to the level of this one) that I was able to resolve through Facebook messaging. The reps were pretty prompt with attention to my inquiries and requests. I was satisfied with their responses and assistance. Also, I always try to be polite.

Jan 25, 2016
So, if an agent on 9/11/2001, not understanding the gravity of the situation completely outside their airline's control, had offered a reroute which could not be fulfilled, would you be asking for compensation from said airline?

This strikes me as 'no good deed goes unpunished'. Believe me, I am not a fan of the way the airlines conduct business and treat their customers, but when the utility blows up their hub (figuratively speaking), anything Delta could do is above and beyond.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
It seems many here cannot understand that happened to the OP.

She said she was traveling from a "smallish airport to ATL to DCA."

She was never in Atlanta. Thus - she was never directly affected by the power failure.

At that other airport, a Delta airlines representative offered to interline the OP on United to Washington, again not through Atlanta. I expect that routing to DC would be through Chicago or Newark, to Washington - again - not through Atlanta.

I have to keep saying this because people keep misunderstanding what is being said.

The problem was that the Delta ticket agent did not follow through with the promise to interline the passenger. when the DL agent represented they would interline the pax the pax at that point has the right to rely on the agreement to interline - which would stop any reasonable person from continuing to explore remaining options, DL did cause the problem here.

I truly believe that DL probably globally removed the ability of agents to interline anyone - except top tier elites. And further training meant the agent is supposed to not tell the passenger anything. Don't lie - don't say anything.

Leaving the passenger in limbo is better than creating a class action - which will develop here regardless because DL ended up lying to a finite number of people about interlining before they closed out the option. . . . .

Now, moving on to @garkster - interlining would have been impossible on 9/11 or 9/12 or 9/13. The system was grounded by government decree. It would not be rational for a person to expect that one would be re-routed when the entire system is crashed. Go ahead and get interlined- you show up at the airport or terminal to be interlined and the system is grounded. That is NOT what happened when Delta's power went out at the airport.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It seems many here cannot understand that happened to the OP.

She said she was traveling from a "smallish airport to ATL to DCA."

She was never in Atlanta. Thus - she was never directly affected by the power failure.

Let me say this again - she. was, not, in. Atlanta.

The OP was traveling from somewhere else [NOT Atlanta] through ATL to Washington DC.

Got that? NOT. TO. Atlanta but through Atlanta.

Thus, their trip was starting someplace other than Atlanta.

At that other airport, a Delta airlines representative offered to interline the OP on United to Washington, again not through Atlanta. I expect that routing to DC would be through Chicago or Newark, to Washington - again - not through Atlanta.

I have to keep saying this because people keep misunderstanding what is being said.

The problem was that the Delta ticket agent did not follow through with the promise to interline the passenger. when the DL agent represented they would interline the pax the pax at that point has the right to rely on the agreement to interline - which would stop any reasonable person from continuing to explore remaining options, DL did cause the problem here.

I truly believe that DL probably globally removed the ability of agents to interline anyone - except top tier elites. And further training meant the agent is supposed to not tell the passenger anything. Don't lie - don't say anything.

Leaving the passenger in limbo is better than creating a class action - which will develop here regardless because DL ended up lying to a finite number of people about interlining before they closed out the option. . . . .

Now, moving on to @garkster - interlining would have been impossible on 9/11 or 9/12 or 9/13. The system was grounded by government decree. It would not be rational for a person to expect that one would be re-routed when the entire system is crashed. Go ahead and get interlined- you show up at the airport or terminal to be interlined and the system is grounded. That is NOT what happened when Delta's power went out at the airport.
"Got that? NOT. TO. Atlanta but through Atlanta. "

That's harsh. I understand your frustration but we try to phrase things a bit more positively. I think we all have it now.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The original letter writer hasn’t even been here in 10 days to update us on her efforts. The best advice she was given was to use our company contacts to start writing to the Executives.

This is an exceptional situation and my home is she has been reimbursed for her extra costs to get home due to the situation.

At this point - we should just wait for her to update us.